Chapter twelve

As we start descending into the trees, I see a colony of tree houses just below the canopy. There are dozens of wooden houses throughout the trees, all with suspension bridges connecting them together. There are boys walking between houses, talking among each other. A few notice us as we get closer and fly overhead. I had no idea this place was here. I thought Pan and his boys were the only people living on the island.

We land on the balcony of the biggest tree house there is. It blends in well with it's surroundings and is hidden well along with all of the other treehouses . Obviously, he doesn't want any one to find his hide out, or him for that matter. Maybe there's a reason Pan didn't tell me about them.

He leads me inside and I take in my new surroundings. The tree house looks smaller on the outside, but the inside is huge. This place is obviously imbued with magic. There is a long dinning table down the middle with long benches down the sides instead of individual chairs. This room is obviously a dinning hall which the Lost boys camp didn't have. We all just sit around the campfire. This looks a lot more formal. 

"Welcome to the ex-lost boy tree house," the boys says slowing turning and gesturing around the room.

"Ex-lost boy?" I ask. There are ex-lost boys? I thought anyone found unworthy was sent away. "I didn't know there was such a thing."

"There isn't. Not according to Pan," he says. "We are all here for different reasons. Some have broken rules, some have done something Pan didn't like, some weren't good enough to be a lost boy, and some didn't want to be a lost boy. Each of us has a different story to tell as to why we're here. We are all outcasts and Pan believes we are all dead, as far as we know. You see this island is filled with weird and wonderful creature, all more dangerous than the next. When Pan lets a boy go, he doesn't expect them to be able to survive on their own. Most don't. We are the lucky few. I have made it our job to rescue the outcasts."

"I didn't know that," I say. Pan told me a completely different story and so did the faeries. Maybe they were just trying to cover up what they actually do. Curiosity get the best of me and I have to ask. "So why were you cast out? Or did you choose to leave?"

"Every couple of decades or so Pan has a... Chosen girl. He brings a girl here to mix things up. He has his fun and then send them home with no memory of Neverland. The last girl here was a girl named Wendy Darling. That was actually quite a long time ago. More than a few decades. This one was different and it made Pan different. He fell for her. Hard. But so did another lost boy. Pan flew into a rage when he found out. The boy was cast out immediately and shunned. Wendy was friends with the boy and never forgave Pan. As much as he loved her, he had to send her home, because he knew she would hate him forever and he could never change her mind. The boy was in love with her too and was heart broken when he found that she left. He would have left too and followed her, but Pan is the only one who can leave the island. She passed away a couple of years ago."

"Oh my god." I say in shock. "I'm sorry." I knew Pan had a temper but I didn't realize that he would do something so drastic. Actually, I take that back. After what has just happened, it doesn't seem too much of a stretch. This boy seems to be a little confused and thinks Pan can leave the island. Maybe he can and he lied to me about that too. He now holds a slightly shocked expression on his face. 

"How did you know I was talking about me?" he asked.

"I asked about your story," I say and I shrug. I thought it would have been obvious. "So I just figured you were the boy." 

"I could have been a friend to the boy and left with him," he says with a slight smile on his face. I shake my head at him.

"I could tell," I say simply and he nods in understanding.