Chapter eleven

I wake in a hammock bed set up in a tent. I sit up and look around trying to figure out how I got here. The bed swings a little as I move and I grip either side to steady myself, not that it helps. Pan must have bought me here before I blacked out. The sun is shinning through the opening of the tent. The brightness hurts my eyes and it takes a while for my eyes to adjust.

I swing my legs over the side of the hammock and go to stand up, but my legs give way and I collapse on the ground. I don't try to stand again because I know my feet won't hold me. I don't know why I'm so weak as I haven't done anything so strenuous to warrant this.

I'm trying to wrap my head around what has happened and how I got here. Looking around, I see that I'm back in my tent. Well, Pan's tent but I've been staying here the past month or so I guess it's our tent now.

The last thing I remember before blacking out was a pair of green eye staring at me and being held by the owner of those stunning eyes. My head is spinning even though I'm still sitting on the floor. I feel sick to my stomach though I haven't eaten anything, which is probably a good thing. I try to stand again but my legs can't hold me and I fall again.

The sun light suddenly disappears from the tents entrance and is replaced by a silhouette of a young man. I blink and rub my eyes as the man approaches me. The way he walks is intimidating and I feel as though he might strike me.

Instead he stops directly in front of me and kneels down. He reaches his hand out and places it on my cheek. I slightly lean into it and I look up into his eyes. He offers me a weak smile and I return it before it dies. Realization reaches me of why I blacked out and why I'm so weak. I let out a sharp breath as a display of disappointment. I knew there was a good chance it wouldn't work but I still remained hopeful.

"Pan," I whisper. He keeps looking at me waiting for me to continue. "It didn't work. I remember everything."

"I told you it wouldn't work," he says softly. "Like I said last night, my magic doesn't always work on you. I don't know why."

"I'm sorry." I say feeling bad as he seems really disappointed that he couldn't help me when I'd asked him to. He shrugs off my apology and embraces me in a gentle hug. I lean into him and hug him back. 

I shouldn't feel like this but being right here, I feel safe. The past several weeks have changed everything. My once captor has now become a friend in almost no time at all. 

"How long was I out for?" I ask him placing my head on his shoulder.

"A day and a half roughly," he replies. "I'm sorry it didn't work for you. I'm really tried and when you blacked out I thought it had but..."

"Hey, it's alright. It's not your fault. Thank you for trying anyway," I say. A thought comes to my head and I ask before I can stop myself. "Did you let my crew go?"

He pulls away from and his face falls slightly. It then hardens as if I had offended him. He sits back on his heels studying my face.

"No," he says abruptly. "Because I never had them captive. But have I done as I promised? Yes I have. The crew and their captain have been returned to the ship, memories adjusted and a ship full of supplies."

He stands, still staring at me before he turns and walks away in silence. I stare after him in confusion and climb to my feet, balancing on the supports of the tent. I walk after him slowly, still a little off balance. I stand in the opening of the tent and look out over the camp.

I should have chosen my words better and I didn't want to offend him after what he's done for me the past 18 hours. He knows what I meant but he took it the wrong way. I should probably be more careful in how I word things in the future.