10: I Like Yer Jammies

Saturday, October 9th, 1993 2:28AM

"Thanks for all your help tonight," Professor Gardner said, patting Robin's thigh. "My phone numbers on the syllabus if you ever need to talk about class or... anything else."

Robin's eyes widened at the hand on his leg. "Alrigh'y..." he trailed, pushing the truck door open. "Bya, Bitch. Have a good Thanksgivin' or whatnot."

She flashed him her too-white smile and squeezed his thigh. "You too, Leprechaun."

Robin slammed the truck door closed and backed away from it, shoving his hands into the pockets of the jacket he'd thrown on over his cardigan before the Extra Credit Hour had started.

Somehow, he'd let Professor Gardner convince him to let her drive him back to Astronomy Hill after helping more the telescopes back to the Astronomy classroom. When he looked back at the gazebo, he found Jeremy sitting on the ground with his blanket wrapped tightly around himself while he tinkered with R2-D2 some more.

"Need some help?" he asked as he approached him.

"It's 2:28 in the morning," Jeremy chuckled, glancing down at his watch.

"And I took me a six hour nap after me 3 PM class got out before goin' ta help dat bitch Mercedes. Ya've been up since at least 6 when yer bloody roommate chucked someting at yer head."

Jeremy shrugged, nibbling on his lip while he looked back to R2-D2. "I won't be able to sleep until he's fixed anyways."

"Dat means ya need all t'e help ya can get," Robin insisted with a grin.

Jeremy thought for a second before smiling and holding out his flashlight. "You can hold this."

Robin smiled back, sitting down on the concrete and scooting closer to Jeremy and flicking on the flashlight. "Mind if I borrow a wee bit o' yer blanket?"

"I don't mind a bit."

Robin watched for a while, making sure the flashlight was equally distributed across all of the pieces that were slowly coming together. "Ya look awfully cute when yer workin'," Robin told him softly after over twenty minutes of peaceful silence.

"You told me that when you got here before Extra Credit Hour," Jeremy reminded him, staring intently at something he was jiggling around on one of the legs. "But I appreciate it none-the-less." Robin pressed a soft kiss to Jeremy's cheek and let him continue working.

Soon enough, Jeremy set down the action figure and stared at it for a moment before looking up at Robin, a surreal amount of pride on his face. Robin felt a surge of excitement pass through his body as he looked at Jeremy. He'd never felt so much pride for someone else before. "All better?" he asked, not able to keep a matching smile off of his face when Jeremy nodded and handed R2-D2 to him.

"Aside from a couple of digs into the plastic, he's good as new."

He felt a sudden overwhelming happiness radiating from Jeremy and kissed his cheek again. "I'm proud o' ya, Shorty. He was in mighty rough shape 'fore ya got yer tools in 'em."

"Who knew the shop and engineering courses I took last year would pay off?" Jeremy leaned against the wood railing of the gazebo and rested his head on Robin's shoulder. "Thanks for sitting with me."

"Are ya kiddin'?" Robin asked, turning off the flashlight and wrapping his arm around Jeremy. "Every moment with ya puts a smile on me mug."

3:36 AM

The early morning October air was bitter, but it seemed to be a hell of a lot more tolerable while holding a tiny human body in your arms.

Robin kissed the top Jeremy's head for what must have been the thousandth time since Jeremy had fallen asleep in his arms. He looked at the R2-D2 that was in the hand that wasn't wrapped around Jeremy's shoulders and grinned, proud that they'd been able to put him all back together... well, Jeremy had been able to put him all back together while he held a flashlight and stared at Jeremy while he worked.