Chapter 16

Elena POV 

On our way to my place, Damon kept glancing at me and I kept staring at his arms. Never in my life had I found a man's arm hot! But I blame it on Damon, indeed he had the hottest arms. 

"You have the hottest arms, I've ever seen. Believe me, I have seen a lot of arms." I say it in a straight voice. 

"Thank you Elena. I have to admit, you have the hottest arms I've ever seen too. And believe me, I have seen a lot of arms." He said it in the same deadpan voice. I was truly elated by this revelation!! 

"Really!? You think so!? I have the hottest arms!? I always thought of getting tattoos, imagine how hot that would look on my already 'the hottest arms!'" I was getting excited with the prospect of getting my arms tattooed. Imagine how fabulous they would look! 

"I was once told, that I have a hot butt too! I think I should get my butt tattooed too! Don't you think!? And you know, what I would get tattooed!? M&M's! It was precious M&M's that got me this job and I am so happy that I got the job and that you are my boss!" I said the last part in a rushed manner, only realising now, that I actually said it. Out loud. In front of him. Yikes 

"Wonders never cease. So I have the hottest arms and the best boss?" He teased. 

"Well, I don't know about the best, but certainly the most chivalrous gentleman. Can you imagine the amount of time you've mentioned cutting my salary? That makes me oh so happy!" I retorted with a snort. 

"Now that you say it, I have reconsidered my decision, you can definitely expect a 10% cut from you salary for explicitly denying that I am indeed the best boss!" He said exasperatedly and I couldn't stop the laughing! He joined me, and we started laughing like racoons. 

I felt a tinge of sadness when I saw that we were about to reach my place. I wanted to spend more time with him bantering. It made me forget about the bills and the horror that I was put through just a day ago. He had the uncanny ability to make me forget about all of my worries and I was really glad that fate decided to make him my boss. 

I glanced at him and saw a rueful expression on his face that matched mine. Was he sad for the same reason as mine? It felt like a joke. He's so handsome and caring. He could get any girl he wants. I am, just me. Plain, simple me. I don't having anything to give. Well if you talk about the emotional baggage and the stack of bills that were begging to be paid back, sure I had a lot to give. I am sure he would be repulsive by that idea. Sigh. 

Just then the car stopped and it was time for me to get back to my reality, the unhappy reality. I looked at him longingly, "Thank you for everything. For your kindness. For being you. Thank you." 

"Why do you live here? This area is not the safest place to live in!" He exclaimed abruptly.  

What could I tell him? This is the best I could afford! It was either this or continue to stay homeless. And the latter was the worst. I told him exactly that. 

"Continue to stay homeless? Does that mean...?" He asked cautiously. 

"Well not all of us come from rich families, so that is the best I could do. Well, really not the best, but I had no other option." I tell him mourning the time when I had a real family. I didn't want to tell him more because I was embarrassed by it.  Embarrassed by the social differences between us. It made me feel trashy. 

"Do you mind if I stay with you tonight? It will ease my mind knowing that you're safe with me. Not that I don't think you could defend yourself when push came to shove! I just want to be here for you." He looked at me sadly and it made my heart crack. He was so damn sweet! 

"But my apartment is the definition of garbage! Believe me you wouldn't want to stay here. I haven't even cleaned!!" I said loudly. 

"I don't care about such trivial things! I am not as superficial as you make me to be." He exclaimed in the same tone. 

"Umm... okay, you can stay the night. But you will have to wait in your car, just till I clean up my apartment a bit. Deal?" 

"Deal" 

And with that, I rushed to my apartment to clean it all up.