8. The Sound of Silence

The Sound of Silence

"Wow, I didn't expect the Land of Silence to be so.... silent," Naruto stated loudly.

You giggled at his comment, because it was exactly what the name implied.

"It's the perfect place to kidnap someone," Jiraiya let out a low whistle. Your team turned to look at him like he was crazy.

"I mean, I'm just stating the obvious," he laughed. "Just look around." He pointed to the landscape.

"I hate to admit it, but he's right," you agreed. There were mountains that stretched across the horizon, and large, broad trees growing in clusters  everywhere. Grass was sparse, growing in parched green patches and barely at an inch high. The terrain was flat, the ground hard enough to not leave footprints. Jiraiya was right, it was a great place to take someone after kidnapping them.

The silence ate you alive as your team walked through the land. Every footstep frightened you, making you flinch frantically.

"Are you okay?" Sasuke asked.  "How's your arm?"

"Y-yeah. I'm fine. It's fine." You kept pressure on your wound.

"When we settle down somewhere I'll clean your wound for you," Sakura offered.

You smiled. "Okay, thanks."

As your team entered the valley through the mountains, Kakashi reminded your team of something. "Since we're on very low ground compared to the mountains, we need to be alert about anything happening above us."

"Yeah, and like Saucy Gay said earlier, that last guy felt like an attempt at stalling, so there's probably more where that came from," Jiraiya added.

Almost as if they someone heard him, hooded figures and weapons rained down upon your group. Everyone became defensive, and didn't even need to listen to Kakashi when he said, "Everyone fight until we're out of this valley."

For once on this mission, you thought to yourself, I'm going to show them how strong I am.

You threw a series of kunai and shuriken blazed with chakra, not deadly, but enough to maim, sending the figures flying backwards into the side of the mountain. You saw your team mates look at you with disbelief, even Sasuke. You had never shown them certain skills during training because it wasn't needed. There was a time and a place for everything, and now seemed like the best time to show off.

A kunai came flying toward you, and instead of deflecting it with one of your own, you grabbed it out of the air by the blade, and threw it back toward the server. Not even a scratch on your palm.

You maneuvered out of harm's way as  weapons dropped from above, attacking all the while. A hooded figure ran at you and you tripped him so the weapons would hit him.

You looked over and saw Sasuke using his fireball jutsu. You hated fire. He must've saw you looking because he gave an apologetic smile and a small wave accompanying it. You returned the smile and kept fighting.

You were getting a little too cocky to notice someone was behind you. "(Y/n), watch out!" Jiraiya screamed, pushing you out of the way. You watched as he spewed some sort of acidic oil all over the ground, burning through it, and trapping the figure in a deep trench.

"Tha–"

"You owe me one," he interrupted with a grin.

Soon enough, the fighting ceased. Your team destroyed them, but Kakashi reminded you all that there was so much more to come.