20. Disaster

Two weeks passed in a blur. Training, eating, sleeping, on repeat. After training, you'd sometimes go to work the front gate with Kotetsu and Izumo for extra money, which Kakashi didn't like.

Kakashi still hadn't acknowledged the whole "I love you" ordeal, so you thought it best not to say anything even remotely close to it again.

Sasuke didn't really know how to console you when you vented to him about it. He kind of just patted your shoulder awkwardly while you shed a few tears. But you found comfort with someone you had never imagined; Jiraiya. He was pretty old anyway, so he had to be full of some knowledge and wisdom, right? Well first, he laughed at you and the whole "Damn straight. Quite right, too," part, but realized you were serious that that's what really happened when you cried at his response.

He told you that boys should ruin your lipstick, not your mascara, but to give Kakashi some time to come around.

But it was hard. It was so difficult for you to not get even a little teary eyed when you were around him. You were constantly wondering, does he love me? and will he ever say it back?

The night before the exams, the two of you sat at his chabudai. He had made sashimi and steamed rice, though you were certain he bought it because it tasted better than anything he had ever made you.

The TV played in the background, some movie about a bridge and two kids, and a girl who drowned. Nothing interesting.

Neither of you had said much of anything all night. There wasn't much to say.

Suddenly, he took your hand, and looked you in the eye. You were certain he was going to say it.

"(Y/n), I..." He smiled, his onyx and sharingan eye piercing your soul.

"Yes, Kashi?" Your heart skipped a beat.

"I think we should get to bed. You know, with the third round tomorrow morning and all."

Stop getting your hopes up, (y/n), you reminded yourself.

But you couldn't help but be in your feelings so you said, "Actually, I think I'm going to go back to my place."

He furrowed his brows. His expression was unreadable and you weren't sure what he was going to say. "Is everthing okay? Do you want me to go with you?"

"No, no. I'm fine, I just need to do a few things tonight," you forced a smile.

"Things that you can't do here?"

"That's the long and the short of it, yes."

"Hmm? Are you sure?" He smiled. "I was planning on giving you a full body massage."

You were tempted to stay, but you resisted. "I think I'm just gonna head home," you said, getting up.

"Oh, okay," His voice was laced with concern.

"Bye. I-" you had to stop yourself from saying I love you. "I'll see you tomorrow." You leaned down to give him a kiss on the cheek before leaving.

As you walked home, you let the tears stream down your face. You had never felt this type of sadness before, it was the first time you'd been in love after all. And for him not to reciprocate those feelings...

"(Y/n)?" You heard a deep voice call out.

You stopped dead in your tracks, wondering who it could be.

"Genma?" You felt a smile play on your lips as you looked upon the brunet ninja.

"Hey, (y/n)," he smiled, his toothpick hanging out of his mouth. "Why the long face?"