11. Special

Special

You rushed home to put your groceries away and find something to wear on your lunch date with Kakashi.

But instead of excitement, a knot of worry formed in your stomach. What were you supposed to wear? What were you going to talk about? What would you do if someone saw you together?

You pushed the thoughts away and started to look through your closet. The one good thing about Jiraiya stealing your clothes, (before you got them back) was that you finally bought some new ones. It never quite occurred to you that you sometimes have to splurge on good clothes. Now you had multiple nice things to pick from. Different qipaos, shirts, skirts. You picked up a blue and white qipao dress, and held it up to yourself.

"Mom, what do you think?" You smiled, looking at the picture of your parents on your nightstand. You fantasized hearing her say, 'too dressy.' and your father saying 'put more clothes on. that's way too short.'
You'd kill to hear their voices again, even if it was your father's unsolicited opinion.

You decided to go with an oversized sweater and some shorts. It wasn't the best outfit you could come up with, but it was the most comfortable. And besides, your "date" was supposed to be casual.

You got dressed, did your (h/l) the way you liked, and even put on a little makeuo, and before you knew it, an hour had passed and it was time to meet Kakashi.

You walked through the village feeling confident, not only looking good, but feeling good. You weren't worried anymore, you were happy. There was nothing that could stop you. Except for some man with a bowl cut and bushy eyebrows and a ridiculous jumpsuit talking Kakashi's ear off at Ichiraku.

You approached them cautiously. You never thought about the possibility of there being someone else eating there, but that was your fault for not thinking.

You decided to play it safe like you didn't know Kakashi would be there. "Oh, hey, Kakashi-Sensei. What are you doing here?"

He caught on and immediately played along. "Hello, (y/n)," he greeted you with feigned surprise. "I'm eating lunch what about yourself?" He said, talking over the bowl cut man.

"Wow, I was going to do the same," you laughed.

"Huh? Kakashi, who's this?" The man asked inspecting you.

"This is my student, (y/n) (l/n)."

"Nice to meet you, (y/n) (l/n). I'm Might Gai. I'm Kakashi's greatest rival, though I'm sure he's told your team all about me," he said with a grin, pointing at himself with his thumb.

You had never heard of this man before, but you didn't want to be rude.  "Ohhhh. That Might Gai," you said, pretending to recall as you sat down on a stool next to Kakashi.

You weren't really interested in talking to bowl cut man. You just wanted to hang out with Kakashi. "Can I get a bowl of barbecue pork ramen please?" You asked the man, Teuchi, behind the counter.

"Same here," Kakashi added.

"And I think I will get the same thing Kakashi ordered, but make it better, because I'm better," Gai stated with a deep laugh.

Is everything a competition with this man?

"Coming right up!" Teuchi nodded to his daughter, Ayame, who started preparing your meal.

"Kakashi-Sensei, I think it's wild how we ran into each other like this, don't you think?" You joked elbowing his arm playfully.

"Indeed. It's a small world."