Chapter 31

Delaine

I walked through the front door of Michael’s home. It felt different. I mean, the last time I was here he told me he didn’t love me anymore, which I now know was a lie.

It was cold and still. The only noise came from the AC, which was going extra hard.

“What are you thinking?” Michael asked. 

“That this place has been such a significant source of pain,” I answered. I looked into his eyes and I could tell he was hurt.

“As well as happiness.” I added. His face brightened up.

“Delaine, I’m so sorry –“He started. I held my hand up to stop him.

“Don’t start. Let’s just not talk about the past anymore. What in the past is what happened in the past. We need to think about now, and what’s going to happen in the future.” I responded. He nodded his head.

“Okay.” He said, just above a whisper. I walked towards the stairs and to the bedroom. I opened the door and memories of finding him with that disgusting ho flooded my mind.

I took a deep breath to clear my thoughts. Michael was right behind me, his mouth was silent, but his breathing pattern showed how nervous he was.

I went to his dresser and fished for some sweats and a tank top.

“What are you looking for?” He asked. When I found a pair of red Last Kings sweats and a white beater, I held it up to show him. He nodded and went to the wall to pick something off the ground.

It looked like some device, but it was too battered to tell.

“What happened?” I asked.

“I threw my phone in rage.” He answered.

“Why?”

“I was angry you weren’t answering my calls.” He said quietly, trying to salvage his device.

I walked up behind him and wrapped my arms around his waist. He stiffened, but relaxed after a few seconds.

“I love you.” I whispered, pressing my cheek against his shoulder blades.

“I love you more. Way more than you can ever imagine.” He whispered back.

I let him go and put on the clothes. They were a bit baggy, but I didn’t mind.

“How do I look?” I asked, he turned to me.

“Beautiful, as always.” He answered. I smiled shyly and went to lie down in the bed. 

“You tired?” He asked, lying down too. He rested his head on my stomach and looked in my eyes.

“Nah.”

“Humph. I’m surprised; you’ve been whopping asses, snatching wigs, and shit.”

I giggled. “I’m sorry I caused a scene.” I said, looking away.

“It’s alright. I mean, I probably am banned from there, but it’s all good.” He joked. I laughed a full, genuine laugh.

“So, if you don’t want to sleep, you want me to put on a movie or something?” 

“Sure, but I don’t really want to watch it.”

“Why not?” He asked.

“I wanna do something a little more fun than that.” I replied. His eyebrows rose like a skyscraper.

“Really?” He asked, playfully. He moved quickly and before I know it, I’m pinned under him with my hands above my head. He bends down slowly, and then plants a soft, wet kiss on my lips.