Chapter 16

I don't know why, but if Mum and Claudia didn't ruin my day already, hearing news that Shawn had gotten with Alexis shredded it into pieces and threw it in the trash bin. And I don't really have homework, and I'm not really busy; I just don't feel like going out today. Not after what I'd just found out.

-- ------ --

Rehearsal today was going to be tough. Judging from Alexis' sudden dislike towards me, it would be very tough. I spent all of last night memorising lines, and lyrics to songs while on a video call with Jolene. I've tried to forget about what Luke had just told me, the thing about Shawn and Alexis together.

True to his word, I did look on Alexis' instagram and there was a photo of both of them cuddling on her channel. I don't know why I felt a bit down about this, but it was probably just because I'm still a bit mad at Alexis.

"Hurry up!" My mum calls out from downstairs, the clatter of pots and cutlery crashing into each other as she tries to quickly wash the dishes.

"I'm coming mum!" I reply back, taking my backpack and swinging it lazily over my shoulder, then running down the stairs. I say a quick goodbye, a goodbye neither her or Claudia acknowledged and dashed out through the door; running to school.

Claudia normally leaves for school at 7 in the morning, because she either has debating club or orchestra. I normally leave with her in the morning for orchestra, but more recently, I've been walking with Emily instead. She lives only one block away from my house, so we meet up at the roundabout at 6:55 and walk together.

But today, I'm leaving early because we had an emergency rehearsal in the morning. Emily's shadow is waiting at the roundabout, and when I finally reach her, we both go off walking towards the school.

As we walk on the pathway, I kick tiny pebbles on the trail, staring straight down at the ground. I use it as an excuse to not talk to Emily, she doesn't need to know what I am feeling right now. No one does, and even if I did tell anyone; who would care? Not mum, not dad, and definitely not Claudia. And my friends? They wouldn't give me the time of day for me to talk about my problems, it's always been about them.

There is a twinge of anger that settles in my chest, but soon it gets put out when calm waters move back in its place. I don't like being angry, but I don't like being sad either. The only thing that I'm allowed to feel is to be happy, because I've learnt over the years that no one wants to deal with your problems.

As soon as we enter the rehearsal hall, it is packed. Students scrambling for seats by the out of date heaters. Emily sets off in Lorelei's direction, practically almost running. Looks like someone has been getting closer to a certain someone else. I sigh, I wish Tina was here right now. This way I wouldn't have to awkwardly stand in the middle of the hall by myself.

And almost on cue, Mrs G runs through the halls, dressed up like Joy from inside out. I've probably said this before, but why does she keep on dressing up like movie characters? She wears a blue pixie cut wig on her head, and has painted golden sparkles on her skin. She is wearing Joy's signature green dress, blue flowers implanted on the sides.

"Hi!" She over excessively waves, blots of glitter falling off her body.

"Hi!" Lorelei waves back, with the same amount of energy Mrs G had made. Mrs G looks pleased and waves back at Lorelei. This goes on for a couple of more seconds, then Mrs G finally starts to be serious again.

"Okay, let's run through the scene where Beast and Belle dance. Jolene, you'll be singing your song in this scene."

I spot Jolene over with Lorelei who nervously bites down on her nails, I give her a thumbs up, and she returns it with a not-so-confident smile. Mrs G motions for Jolene to come onstage, and gets all the other cast members in the scene in their positions. Then she motions for me to come onstage, and sets me on the huge X in the middle of the stage.

"Where is Shawn, or Alexis?" Mrs G kindly asks, "I would just like to know."

"We're here, really sorry about that!" Shawn yells as he and both Alexis push open the doors in a rush.

"Sorry, we were a bit distracted." Alexis fakely simpers to Mrs G.

Why did I get such an inappropriate scene in my head? To be honest, I wouldn't think it was true, I didn't think it was until Alexis smirks at me. I-

Mrs G does not seem impressed by Alexis. But to be fair, Alexis did bully Jolene in front of everyone. She also hinted to almost everyone that she and Shawn had done something together.

Again, there's a pit of sadness in my heart that I can't seem to grasp.

"Okay, Shawn, come here. I'm assuming you practised the steps?"

"Yes, I have." Shawn says, running onstage to be opposite of me. Looking at me square in the eyes., happiness evident. I bet my eyes look sad, or dead. That's how I feel, just sad. I don't know why though.

Mrs G clicks her hands, and the backing track for Beauty and the Beast comes on, and Jolene stands on the side of the stage ready to sing. I put my hands on Shawn's shoulders, my fingers holding onto his soft hoodie as he placed his hands on my waist.

"Tale as old as time," Jolene sang. Her tone, rich, deep and pure; the perfect amount of vibrato filled her voice with every note.

"Okay stop," Alexis snapped. "Jolene, I need to be as straightforward as possible. You suck."

The music stops, and Jolene is close to tears as she runs off stage. Lorelei runs after her while Emily watches Alexis in horror.

"Alexis," I seethe, "I think you need to shut up."

"I think you need to be honest with yourself," Alexis fights back. "She's not talented."

"She is," I glare. "She's so much more talented than everyone at this school, and yeah, maybe she didn't get the lead. But I think we all know that if anyone knew how rude you were, you wouldn't even get a role as a bush in a play for children."

Everyone stares at me and her, eyes opened, gaping.

"Jasmine, do you really think I'm afraid of you?" Alexis evilly smiles, "I made everyone turn against you. And I can do it again."

"Well lucky for her, I won't let you do that again." Shawn finally says, stepping forward as he crosses his arms.

"I won't let you do that either," Emily joins in. "I never even liked you in the start Alexis, you were always so insecure about losing Jasmine as your best friend."

"I won't let you do that too," Luke also says. He shoots me a silly grin, and I do a quick smile back.

Alexis scoffs, and leaves the hall. Jolene finally returns, and tearfully goes back to singing while Shawn and I dance. It was definitely an eventful rehearsal. I would imagine that I'd no longer be able to sit with Alexis and her friends for lunch.

And for some reason, I'm okay with that.