Chapter XXIII

Adrien left a bit later, after telling a few more horrible puns of course. It was getting late by the time the group of three finished off the family sized bag of chips.

Nino had left around 5:45 to go home and shower and get some new clothes. Leaving just Marinette and Alya.

Marinette stood in front of Alyas stand mirror with her shirt tucked under her chin.

"See! Alya I told you!! A baby bump is already forming!" Marinette yelled out pointing at the nonexistent bump.

Alya quietly giggled, "Mari honey, no I'm sorry, there is nothing there. You are imagining things babe." She said to her best friend.

"No, no, no! I know there's a bump!" She laughed looking more closely.

Alya rolled her eyes and snuggled closer to her blanket. Marinette plopped right next to her best friend leaning on her shoulder.

"Do you think I'll be a good mom?" Marinette asked now incredibly serious.

"Mari, yes. Yes of course!" Alya leaned up to look at her in the face, "what the hell do you mean "do you think I'll be a good mom" of course you will, have you met you? You so freakin great with kid, you babysit for a living for god sake. Why are you questioning yourself?"

"Dude I don't know, I'm 17 freaking years old! And I babysit  five to ten year olds, not baby's. I don't think Adrien has ever even held and infant before! I don't know if I'm ready for this! What if I'm just no good at it?" The bluenette had stood back up and was now pacing. She pulled her hair up in a bun, before sitting in the desk chair with her hands on her face.

"Marinette Dupain-Cheng if you are not the greatest mother of all time when this baby is born, there is no hope for all mother-kind," Alya got out of bed "you are by far the most compassionate, loving,  and caring girl I know, and that is what makes you the person that you are, everyone loves that about you Mar, and the people who don't show it, only don't 'cause they envy it. You will not only make a good mother, you'll be the simply the best." Alya was now kneeling next to Marinette on the floor.

Marinette wiped the moisture out of her eyes and hugged her best friend. "Thank you." She whispered in her embrace.

They stood there for a minute before. "Alya I love you a ton, but you stink."

Alya let out a laugh as she pulled away.

"No seriously when's the last time you showered?" Marinette laughed with her.

"Oh dude, I don't even know. Like last Wednesday?" The brunette scratched her matted head.

"Alya! Jesus it's Tuesday , no wonder you smell, how does Nino put up with you?" Marinette laughter pulling Alya towards the bathroom.

"Honestly, I have no clue," Alya said walking into the small room, as per-usual she closed the door behind her, but then she was all alone. She could feel the room closing in on her. All around her lungs were squeezed and it got harder, and harder to breathe.

Marinette's head tilted up as the bathroom door swung open again, revealing a pale and distressed Alya.

"Um, Mar? Would you mind staying in here with me? Can you just sit on the toilet seat, I don't want to be alone."

"Of course." She smiled and  joined Alya in the tiny room. For a while, the silence sat heavier than the steam.

"Jesus Mar, say something." Alya awkwardly laughed, rinsing the shampoo out of her hair.

Marinette snicker in return, "Okay let's see, what to talk about? Um, do you think it's a boy or a girl?"

"Well I would hope boy, I bet Nino twenty bucks and a BJ on it." The brunette remarked nonchalantly. Marinette let out a shriek trying desperately to rub the mental image out of her brain.