Chapter XXIV

Adrien was tired, and nervous, and angry all in one. He had to lie again, to his father. It was getting tiring.

'Where are you Adrien? What are you doing Adrien? Explain yourself Adrien.' Everyday the same story.

Natalie had almost insisted that he come straight home after fencing, until he gave the average 'school project' excuse. She, thankfully, either believed him or decided to leave him be, because she didn't bother him after that.

The waiting room was busy enough that there was a wait but not a long one. Everyone around him was older than him. It made him less sure about this whole 'baby' thing. But when he glanced over at his girlfriend, he was reassured.

When they got called in his brain went numb, he remembered the nice Doctor lady coming in and introducing herself and then explaining what was going to happen. He remembered her addressing him and confirming that he was the father.

He wanted to say something, at least to be polite, but there was a large lump in his throat that wouldn't budge.

The first thing that woke him from his anxious trace, was the sound of Marinettes gasp. He wasn't sure she knew she made a sound.

"See that? There they are. That's them." The Doctor woman said. He looked and nevertheless there was a baby, or at least a small shape of something that was like a baby.

All and all, he was kinda underwhelmed.

That was until he heard the sound of a small beat. Slow but steady. It kept perfect rhythm. He was lost in a trance of utter awe until Marinettes sniffles woke him.

She was wiping tears from the corners of her eyes. With one hand over her mouth. She wasn't looking at the monitor, she was just listening.

He didn't realize he was crying until he felt a tear land on his hand. His eyes met Marinettes. This was it. This was the life they'd created.
—————————————————————

Marinette knew right then and there she would be keeping this baby. She'd only had them for a short time but she loved them with everything she had.

Adrien and her had been so spaced out that her mother had to answer when Dr. Smith asked if they wanted a printout, and if so how many.

After Dr. Smith had wiped the gel off her stomach, Marinette gently placed her hand on her stomach. She made a vow, silently, right there.

I will protect you with everything I've got.

—————————————————————

The couple were still in a sort of daze all the way back to Marinettes house. They sat in the back, looking at the printouts they'd received. 3, one for Marinette, one for Adrien, and one extra. They couldn't wipe the smiles off their faces.

Adrien couldn't take his eyes off it. The more he looked the more he saw. It wasn't perfect but he could make out a head and body and the formings of arms and legs. This was something he created, with the help of Marinette, of course, but still. Marinette was having similar thoughts. It was all so surreal.

It felt like a dream that they would wake up from and a few hours ago be content with it all be a figment of the imagination, but now extremely sad and disappointed.

Marinette couldn't believe it. Last week she was petrified, but now, she was ready. Okay well maybe not ready, but more prepared. Mentally.

This was her future. And she wanted it.

"So how'd it go?" Her father voice asked. She was in the house now, standing in the front of the bakery.

"Good the doctor said everything looked normal and we should come see her in about six weeks." Sabine responded for her, handing her husband one of the sonogram photos.