Ch.10

Ch.10
It was my first day as Mason's personal guard and I was already nervous. I had started the day off trying to pry into Kevin's mind, but with no avail. I was still closed off to what was happening to my kingdom. Then, I'm woken up by Mason screaming me through our newfound bond.

So, naturally I rushed into his room with just a night gown on, worried that he was dying or something. Instead, he was calmly at his desk, two cloaks in hand.

"Smokey black or charcoal black?" He asked seriously, staring at the two cloaks that looked identical.

"Are you gay or something?"

"No, I'm just meeting with the nobles and I have to look good. They hate me." He whined playfully, a smirk playing on his lips.

"If you need an opinion, you should ask your sister. You know the one who owns her own clothes line?" I growled, angry that he had bothered me for cloaks. When he looked confused, I sighed. "Her name is Khana. She's married to one of of the nobles you're so afraid of." I said, trying to jog his memory.

"Oh, yes. That sister." He said unconvincingly.

Snatching both cloaks out of his hands, I threw them onto his bed and walked over to his wardrobe, pulling out a pure white tunic and tan trousers.

"Wear these. Show them that you're not there to impress them, it's the other way around. You're the one with the power." Biting his lip, he shook his head, not agreeing. "Are you well versed in Rider history!" He nodded. "Have you ever heard of a noble going against the crown in their history?" He shook his head again. "It's because the rulers don't give a fuck because they could easily kill them if they stepped out of line. So, don't be afraid of flaunting your authority."

"You're a life saver." He mumbled, pulling his shirt over his head. "Thank goodness I found you."

"More like thank goodness I took her prisoner and then made her my personal guard by shoving my soul into her body without thinking." I murmured, running my uninjured hand through my hair.

Eying him warily, I noted his eight pack and prominent 'v' that sent a shiver down my spine.

"I think I'm gonna go get dressed. I do have to follow you every where now."

"Yeah, see you in a few minutes...unless you want to change in here." He proposed, earning a raising brow from me.

"You made it quite clear that you are not interested in me, ergo I will not subject myself to any type of temptation."

He grinned, his eyes alight. "That was because you were my servant, which isn't proper. But now...well, I wouldn't have a problem with having intercourse with you." Biting my lip, I burst out laugh, holding my sides as I died of laughter. "What's so funny?"

"I-Intercourse! Who the fuck says that? What are you a wussy?"

Glaring at me, he crossed his arms over his chest. "Just because I use the proper term doesn't mean I'm a wussy." His face morphing into something childish when he said 'wussy'.

"Say fuck. Prove to me that you aren't a wussy." I dared him, amused by the conflict that was showing on his face. I could practically see the gears in his head at work.

"That doesn't prove anything."

"It'll prove to me that you're not as stuck up as most of these Sedentians with a rod up their asses."

"I'm not gonna darken my soul just because you want to prove a point." He shot back, looking slightly irritated with my behavior.

"Well if you can't do something as simple as that, there's no way we're going fuck." I snapped, putting emphasis on the swear.

***

Standing behind Mason, I stared at the men who were filing into the room at a slow pace. Once they were all in their seats Mason spoke, his cocky tone gone.

"I have summoned you all today because it has come to my attention that you have reported the Riders making thoughtless attacks in the southern and eastern part of the anarchy territory. This is reason for concern because they're no longer being predictable and as civilized as they can possibly muster."

Finding interest in what he was saying, my heart lurched. Kevin was ruining us. I should've left someone else in my place while I was gone. Of course I wasn't supposed to be away this long, but I had always had a soft spot for my brother, but he completely ruined that.
The man in front of me got Mason's attention, wanting to add onto what was just said.

"My men haven't been fighting since we're guarding the west. However, my men have overheard that Queen Katya is dead and her brother, Kevin was ruling now."

Startled by the information being said, I gripped the chair Mason was sitting in and took deep breaths. I should've killed Kevin when I had the chance instead of doing the stupidest thing by trusting him. And I couldn't leave because there was that damn experiment that could possible wipe out darkness, leaving the Riders completely vulnerable since most of them were born and accepted the darkness and knew nothing of light magic. It was forbidden and anyone found doing it would be tortured and killed by yours truly.

"If you are able to confirm this knowledge, we can move forward with this plan."

A man at the other end of the table shook his head. "That cannot be confirmed because we met with Queen Katya. We saw her as she spoke to her troops in the south."

Mason leaned forward, deep in thought.

What do you think? He said telepathically, catching me off guard.

I think that you should ask your educated advisors. I'm just your guard. I replied, not wanting to say anything that might give me away.

Oh, come on, you always have something to say.

Is that supposed to be a compliment?

Take it in what sense thou wilt.

Shakespeare?

See you are educated. Now advise me.

Don't trust rumors. Queen Katya is very resourceful.

Thank you. He said, a sense of longing in his voice.

"Until this piece of information is confirmed, we will not be moving forward with the plan." Standing up, he gave them a small nod. "You're dismissed."

Once most of the men dispersed, some came forward, talking to Mason.

Observing his body language as the nobles spoke to him, I stepped forward to intervene in his behalf.

"Mason, don't forget that lunch you have with your sister. She'll kill you if your late." I lied, smiling as I pulled him away from the vultures. That's why I preferred having absolutism instead of this democracy shit.

"Thanks for that. They never leave me alone." He laughed, wiping the sweat off his brow.

"Are you gonna be going to your office?" I inquired, wanting to know which direction to take.

"Yeah, I need to go over some law proposals."

When we reached his office, I went straight to the couch to resume sleeping. Since I was a light sleeper, it wouldn't be a problem to keep an eye on him.

"Yeah, just make yourself comfortable." He mumbled sarcastically.

"Oh I will."