PART 2: CHAPTER 13

PART 2; CHAPTER 13

“did she eat the food?” the new guard asked the maiden.

“I’m sure they did. Before they could eat I left.”

“I thought I specifically told you to check if the queen ate the food? Why are humans always so incapable.”

“I’m sorry. I promise I will..”

“quiet! There won’t be no next time. Meet in my room tonight, it’s time I add more fuel to by tank. You’ll have to do until I can devour the royal blood.”

Ntombi POV.

I’m so hungry. I need something to eat, now! I stopped when I heard chattering in the kitchen. I did not want people to see me and telling Muzi. I have to keep my suspicions to myself.

“did she eat the food?” I over heard someone say, the new guard I presume. What food are they talking about?

“I’m sure they did. Before they could eat I left.”

“I thought I specifically told you to check if the queen ate the food? Why are humans always so incapable.”

“I’m sorry. I promise I will..”

“quiet! There won’t be no next time. Meet in my room tonight, it’s time I add more fuel to my tank. You’ll have to do until I can devour the royal babys’ blood.”

I saw the strange man that recently started working as a guard exit and left the maiden all alone in the kitchen. What I have just heard and witnessed scared me. My baby, what is living in my own home? My place of safety has turned into something even more dangerous than I comprehended. This is all Muzi’s fault, he let him into our home. This is why we have protocols, for our own safety. I have to expose him, but how? Muzi won’t believe me.

I need to spy on them tonight. What will he do to this girl? First let me make food, that will help me to think clearly. I need to find zodwa, I can’t do this on my own. I quickly snuck into the kitchen and took a bowl full of fruit. It’ll have to do for now, there are more pressing issues to deal with. Indeed the walls have ears.
:
:
:

"Zodwa come out now please, it's urgent." A yawning Zodwa came out to meet my hyper self. I wanted to expose this beast right now, I feel like I need this proof for myself too.

"Hey, what is wrong. You seem out of it." She asked not fully seeing my urgency.

"We need to go now Zodwa. This man is fake. He's here to kill us all." I said to her, unable to fully tell her everything, my mind was all over. I was torn between going over there and telling her his plans.

"Okay calm down. What is happening.  I told her everything that I heard and witnessed including the dream I had. This is all making sense now. He wanted to poison me.

"This is all surreal and scary. I don't know what to think but we need a plan." She said.

"I know. We are fighting a war here. How in this world would I be able to prove to anyone that this man is fake?"

"There isn't much we can do right now but to go over there tonight. We need to see what exactly we are dealing with here and with who. I just don't understand why he wants you or your baby dead. Who is this man? Something tells me Queen Eliza is involved in this."

What she said last didn't surprise me at all, anything is possible. I don't trust anyone.

:
:
:
:

Later that night...

"Walk more quietly please." I said to Zodwa as we snuck out. "They are going to hear us."

"Okay I just don't want to miss anything. You are walking like a snail."

"You mean carefully . You know what let's just go, this going back and forth with each other won't help at all."

We walk further and stood a good distance from the guard's chambers awaiting to see what will happen. I felt silly, what if they were just going to be silly instead and we are just going to witness that. I had to leave my man alone in bed for this mess.

The moon made everything else much easier.  It's light brought everything into view.

"Ntombi look." Zodwa gently nagged me. The maid walked to the guard. Everything else is quiet.

He touched her. What happened next paralyzed both me and my companion. He changed into this nasty rotten beast and swallowed her. He ate her...

"Zodwa." I whispered. "What now." I spoke after a while, shaken to the core. "This is..."

"We need to go see that women, the traditional healer. This thing is..." she couldn't quiet finish her sentence only her tears portrayed her trumour.

"I agree. First thing in the morning, but first I need to inform my uncle. We need more support." We didn't have a choice but to finish up what we saw. Everything looked scary. It took us a while to master up the courage to move back into the house.

"Goodnight my queen. Stay well." She wished me goodnight. I feel bad. She wouldn't be in this situation if it hadn't been for me.

"Tomorrow it is then, have a good night too and thank you for being there with me." I watched her disappear from sight before I made my way next to the man i love, at least I have someone to sleep next to. I am terrified.

:
:
:
:

In the morning...

"Muzi." He turned around from doing what he was doing, clearly giving me all his attention.

"I miss home. I want to go see my uncle and my cousins, I don't even know them."

"You know you can go anytime you want and anywhere and this is your home Ntombi. I don't want you to go anywhere without guards, I've been feeling uneasy lately and with the dreams I'm having I don't want to take risks."

"Risks? You employed this new man without knowing him or where he comes from." He turned away from me. I now believe he's in some sort of spell, next he'll be devoured by that thing.

"Eliza knows the man, okay?"

"Okay." I agreed simply knowing that this conversation would not end well especially for me. "I'll be going now. I want to get there early so that I can stay longer."

"Okay then I'll see you later." He pecked my forehead and left without another word.

:
:
:
:

I'm contemplating whether to go see my uncle or not. I don't know the man well enough but I feel like I can trust him. My way home with Zodwa wasn't an easy one. Guards were going to jeopardise the whole mission, we don't know who to trust.

"Just a little bit further and we'll be there." I said to the still shocked Zodwa.

"I cant believe I've never been to the place my queen was raised in. Are you sure you'll be fine?"

"I have to there are more pressing issues to worry about right now." We walked for a little while until the house that I swore never to set my foot in became visible. My uncle saw us coming and he came to meet us on the way.

"What a surprise Ntombi. I never thought I'd see you around this area."

"Oh uncle, things have been really strange lately. If my being here is a surprise than I'm really afraid how you are going to react with what I'm about to tell you."

"Please lets get inside." He ushered us inside the house. I didn't want to see my mother but my selfish needs would have to be set aside.

"I've sent for my child to get you water, in the meanwhile why don't you talk and tell what has you up early this morning." He went straight to the point. I couldn't blame him though, my face must look terrified. Who wouldn't be?

"I'm dealing with something beyond any human capability. A human eater, a demon, has made its way into the gates of my household and this kingdom. " I told him everything that i witnessed, with Zodwa being there to testify too, and all my suspicions including the strange behaviour of my husband.

:
:
:
: