chapter 20

~ 1100 words. NOT EDITED!!!

ENJOY!!!

**********************************************

Ntombi POV

"So you want me to spy."

"Precisely. "
:
:

"My princess.. I mean Ntombi. You know the amount of trouble I could get if i were to get caught. I can't risk so much. I've worked so hard to earn a place here. If it wasn't for my friend my family would still be starving and my younger siblings would have nothing to eat as we speak. Please don't put me in that position." I felt for her but she's making it seem as if I want her to blow the whole palace in one go.

"Zodwa look, there's no need to panick. You will not get fired not as long as I'm here. I'm only asking that you tell me all that is happening around me. The gossips and how the people feel about my return. How do you feel about that?" She stopped eating as if I've asked her to walk around the whole village naked.

"Ntombi, I've always felt sorry for you. No matter how dum a person can be everyone saw how hurt you felt that day." She extended her hand to mine.

"You are strong and no matter what happens just know it's not the prince's doing but his parents. That man loves you and I too envy that kind of love from a man like the prince. Someone who would do anything for me."  She really isn't bad. I guess I misjudged her but I'm still cautious, you can never trust anyone around here. This is the palace where everyone seeks power and would do anything for anyone just to get there.

"My princess I promise I will inform you of any activity that might happen without your knowledge. You have shown me so much kindness than anyone has ever shown me before. You are a good person and that is what the people of this land needs at the moment. " she's right. It's time for change and I'm going to bring that change.

"Thank you so much Zodwa. I'll make sure to reward you for this." I gave her a firm nod.

"Speakng of which, I hear the Prince want to marry you as soon as possible. He was making arrangements just two days ago with the elders. I think they are planning to visit your home for your bride price." She just kept on gobbling her food down her throat. I wonder which home they are speaking about. The last time I checked I no longer have a family member around. It just me and my mother and I do not want to associate myself with that woman. If I were that bad hearted I sure was going to give her a hell  of a time in this land.
:
:
:
It's night now and as usual I'm waiting for the Prince.  His cuddles are so addictive and I can't sleep without his arms around me. You know that feeling you get when all else is still and there's inadequate lighting. Somehow you are tuned to think, you think a lot and right now there are words roaming inside my head that I can't seem to ignore. No matter how hard I try.

"You are strong and no matter what happens just know it isn't the prince's doing but his parents."  Those were the words Zodwa said to me earlier. I can't help but think there's something which I'm missing. Does the king not want me here?

My thoughts were interrupted by loud voices. It's seems as if Muzi is yelling. "I'LL NOT MARRY HER DAD! AND YOU CAN'T MAKE ME." - Muzi's voice.

I couldn't help but leave the room to see the commotion and I wasn't the only one. The queen was already standing there as if this kind of thing is usual. She didn't want to get involved and so did I.

"Son hush now! I'll not have you speaking to me in that manner. As i said before I've promised her parents. This has to be done. The poor girl has everything prepared. They...I mean we are all waiting on you. This isn't some love fairytale in which you are living son. We are royals and the people come first. Not us but the people." - the king.

He walked away giving me a quick look on his way. This is the first time I've seen a fight between the Prince and the king.

The awkwardness when were alone in his room was unbearable. I don't want to put anymore stress on him than he has. For the first time I don't know how to comfort him. Is this the part he says it's not you but me part. I don't want to go back and live without him.

"Ntombi, look at me. I will not marry Eliza. She's the princess of our neighbouring village and as you've heard she was promised my hand in marriage. I'll always want you. You need not to worry about her." We sat down almost as if the action will calm both our nerves down.

"I believe you Muzi." I softly caressed his left chick. What else could I say to him. I know he's trying so hard. "... but what would we tell your father. He's the king and his word is final. Even though you are his son I don't think you hold that much power and to top it all up he's your father. I don't want your family to hate me because of this. I literally don't have any fighting bones. I just want peace to reign."

"And I promise you that baby. I will give you anything that you want. I just need to let my father see that I will not obey him this time. He's always been controlling." ~Muzi.

"But I don't want it to be at the extend of your happiness. Whatever happens I will understand." I really meant it. I don't want to complicate things for him. If it's for the goodness of this land then so be it.

"Ntombi I want you and that's final."  He stood up and went to God knows where.
:
:
:
:
:
The following morning the Prince wasn't by his side of the bed, which could only mean one thing. He didn't sleep here. Whatever it is he went must have been important. This is the first time he has slept without me.

"Come in please." I answered to the person that was aggressively knocking on my door.

"My princess... I mean Ntombi the king sent me to fetch you as fast as I can." Ahh the lovely Zodwa. I must say I never thought she was capable of panicking the way she did today.

"You serious? Is the Prince okay." The king never sent for me and the fact that he does now when the Prince hasn't been seen bothers me.

"Well about the prince, I thought he'd be here with you. The king is livid. Whatever is going through his mind right now is not sitting well with him." Okay...

"I'll be there in a minute."

"He said now. I'm afraid he's angry with you. Is there something you did?" ~ Zodwa

"Well.. not that I'm aware of. It might be concerning the Prince. He didn't sleep here last night.

To be continued...

**********************************

YOU ARE WELCOME TO COMMENT AND VOTE TO SHOW THAT YOU LIKE THE BOOK.
And pls if for some reasons you want something like a change or suggestion feel free to do so, really...I mean it.