Chapter Eight

Anxiety surged through my veins, causing my hands to tremble vigorously. "Relax and get out of here," I told myself. 

  "Relax, relax, relax.." I chanted in my head futilely. 

  The anxiety slowly melted, being replaced by actual fear. The only time I had felt this scared was when a snake slithered into my room in the dead of night, startling me. I felt uneasy. My hands turned clammy. 

  I wanted to run out of the clearing, but somehow my feet were glued to the ground. I stood, transfixed by my surroundings. A thick hedge surrounded me. Wildflower and ivy grew on the hedge, poking through the dark green leaves that nearly concealed them. Morning sunlight shone on the clearing. It was actually quite beautiful.

  All of a suden, the hedge in front of me rustled. I took a step back, my heart hammering against my chest. A pair of eyes stared at me, unblinking. The body of whoever - or whatever - the eyes belonged to was hidden by the hedge.

  I clenched and unclenched my fist, now wishing I was anywhere but here.

  Something sleek and black flashed through the hedge. A wild dog with sleek black fur was standing in front of me, its teeth bared, saliva dripping from its mouth. The wild dog was beautiful. Its fur wasn't matted like I thought it would be.

  It took a step towards me. I let out a gasp and squeezed my eyes shut.

  Get me away from here. Get me away from here. Help me. I dont want to be eaten, please. Please, I'm so young. I'm a Sykes. I can fly. Let me fly out of here.

  A flash of blinding light. 

  I felt light, like I could be blown away by wind. Light, like feather. Light, like dust. Like I can fly.