Chapter Fourteen

A lump rose in my throat. I blinked back tears as they stung my eyes, unguarded.  

  All of a sudden, I heard a chuckle from behind me. I whipped my head around in shock to see Nathan guffawing loudly, clutching his stomach. Tears of laughter ran down his cheeks. "Nathan!" I gasped. 

  I ran over to him and tackled him in a hug, not ever wanting to let go. I had my best friend back. That was all that mattered. Nathan hugged me back tight, laughing into my shoulder. His tears of laughter stained my shirt.

  We broke apart awkwardly. "Where were you, Nath ?" I asked him. I noticed that the door wasn't open. He must've been in the room all this time. 

  "Paynes can become invisble, or did you forget?" He said with a smirk. I swatted his shoulders and he cracked up laughing again.

  "It was fun watching you worry over me like that," Nathan's expression grew serious. "What happened just now? Did I do anything wrong to you?" 

  "Well, uh .. Jay and Danielle asked me to choose between them and you," I mumbled, staring at the ground. I bit my lip. 

  "But I don't think I'm going to choose. If Jay and Danielle were true friends, they would've understood and allowed me to be friends with other people," I said, surprising myself with my statement. And then, I realized that I meant it. 

  "That's .. great. Wow. I thought you'd choose them," Nathan said. 

  "Uh.. so you're a Darogarylia too?" I asked, eager to change the subject before it became awkward.

  Nathan grinned and nodded. "I'm one of the few Paynes who are Darogarylia. Most are Higgins or Sykes right?"

  "Yep."

  "Well, I'll teach you how to be a Darogarylia then. It's fun," Nathan said eagerly.  

  I laughed. "You bet, Nath."

  Alright, four chapters like I promised. I'll post more tomorrow :) Peace, love and sour cream, Aretha xx