Prologue

~•~
The Magic's Cold Embrace
~•~

Smoke drifted from the ground, swirling into the air in thick wisps of black and gray. Embers gleamed amongst the rubble, their heat pulsing like a heartbeat, like a flame dancing in the dark. A sharp sound of metal screeching across stone erupted above the crackling of the feeding fire.

A man lied still on the ground, broken and bleeding body struggling to stand once more.

"This is the end for you," a voice spoke, dark and menacing. The man's eyes flicked up, meeting the  voice's steely gaze of golden fire. "Your terror shall reign no longer." The other man began to walk away, other figures of varying color following in his shadow's wake.

Rising slowly, the man grinned. His white eyes flashed.

"...Kniht uoy tahw s'tahT."

The ground suddenly cracked, the earth rumbling and releasing a ghastly howl. A shockwave erupted above the stone, sending dust and smoke to burst in a funnel of gray. Veins of black fire slithered out from beneath the man's palms, seeping into the ground and creating dark snakes of shadows that crawled through the opening cracks.

The beings before him turned, eyes widening and fear striking their chests as the deadly shadows snapped at them like deadly vipers.

White fire spilled from the man's eyes, laughter bellowing deep in his chest.

The man with the golden flare yelled at his comrades to flee. This magic was dark and like no other. It was too overwhelming, the intensity was drowning them. It suddenly felt hard to breathe.

The snakes of shadows coiled around his ankles.

"NO!" He screamed, but it was too late.

Dark laughter thundered through the air. His vision was overtaken by white.

~•~