Epilogue: Bryce Laurel

A floating red haze of fire is what I first noticed when I looked up. She's standing by the window, the sunrays illuminating around her like a halo.

Is this an angel I'm seeing?

The shock on her face was palpable. The blush that crept her beautiful, flawless face was goddamn irrisistable. There was a distinct, unfamiliar rhythm in my heart.

Who is she?

There's something in me that's calling out to her. Like I know her. It's on the tip of my tongue but I can't seem to blurt out. Can someone put me out of this misery?

Then it hit me!

An angelic and enthralling face like that is hard to forget.

"I know you, we went to College together, am I right?" I exclaimed, far too ecstatic than my usual tone. I balled my fist for three seconds, trying to control the crazy beating of my heart.

She just nodded, her eyes twinkling like a starry night. The pink tint on her cheeks morphed into a beautiful shade of crimson, almost in par with her gorgeous wavy locks.

She's Ruby.

Ruby Carianne.

The transferee from abroad who used to dye the tips of her hair in deep red. I used to adore her from afar. She had colored everything from the root now. Somehow, it suits her. And that flame of my old admiration is slowly returning.

I can't help staring at her, as if she's the first glimpse of light I've seen for a very long time. Even though I already knew her name, I found myself delaying the reveal.

"Teka lang. I'll try to remember your name. 'Wag mong sasabihin, ah?" I lied, tearing my eyes away from her for a moment befor my mind totally blanks out. Those big, round, doe-like eyes could do things to a man.

"Alam ko you're in a lower batch pero hindi ko matandaan. Hmmm." I again stalled.

"Ahh-ehh. . ." A voice that matches her face.

It's like a switch to this sudden attraction. I gave in. "Oh! I remember! You're Ruby!" The way her face turned into an even more shy expression has me in knots.

"Y-yes." She stutters.

Too sweet. Too familiar. Where is this weird feeling headed?

"Hi, Ruby. It's nice to re-meet you. Small world, ano?" I extended my hand. I've got to have some sort of physical connection or I'm not going to sleep tonight.

There was reluctance before her palm touched mine and I swear I felt a zap of electricity.

"Oo nga, Sir, eh." She murmured.

Again. Too sweet.

I let our handshake linger a bit more before I let go, pointing at the seat beside me. I have the briefest conflict with myself with where shall I position myself. Should I sit beside her, to be close?

I smiled inwardly, realizing that the idea of sitting in front is far more appealing because I can again look at her beautiful eyes. And wait? Did she just called me, Sir?

"Please, 'wag mo na akong i-Sir. Not like we're strangers, 'diba?"

She just nodded. Please say something, I again want to hear that sweet, singsong voice.

I need to open a topic. I need to have a conversation with her.

"I'm really sorry for running late. Medyo congested kasi ang traffic papunta rito, eh. Galing pa ko sa opisina."