Chapter 22: Tell Me When It Hurts.

Chapter 22

Much Time later

"A mission? Me?"

Eryn was disheveled. Her hair was a mess and her pjs were wrinkled. A yawn escaped her as she leant against the frame of her bedroom door. "You think I'm ready?" Natasha considered it for a moment. "Well, not interiely, but with me there I know you'll be okay. Plus I think getting you away from this place for a few weeks would be good." Eryn nodded. She craved escape from the compound. It had been months since she went anywhere by herself, and days since she left her room.

"It'll get your mind off things." She added.

"Okay. When do we leave?"

"Thursday."

Eryn blinked. Two days? "Why so soon?"

"If we don't get to edenbrow before the weekend we'll lose our lead."

Eryn let out another yawn.

"Sweet, Thursday then."

It was Wednesday night and Eryn had planned to get the best rest she could before her mission. She was so excited getting to sleep was a challenge. She wasn't asleep very long before a loud banging jolted her awake with a yelp.

It was coming from her door.

Eryn sighed and got up to answer. It's probably Nat with some last minute info.

Eryn only opened the door to find Bruce. She gasped. He looked even more disheveled then she was. Puffy eyes and distraught. Eryn was at a loss for words. She moved from the door to let him in. He obliged rather hastily, shutting the door behind him. "Uh, you okay?" She asks with hints of sleepiness in her voice. "I think so." He began. "Just a nightmare." Eryn nodded as if she understood. "Oh, sorry, that probably sucked."

She tilted her head as a thought came to her. "Wanna talk about it?" He shook his head. "It just...I just...needed to make sure you were okay." Her heart melted. "Oh Bruce...I'm okay. See? Healthy as a hamster." "That's not the right expression, but yeah, you're okay." She offered a small smile.

So he still cares.

"You can't go on that mission."

Her smile faded, "Pardon?" He gripped her by the shoulders, light enough not to hurt her, but still with enough firmness to show how serious he was.

"You can't go."

"Yes I can."

"Bruce-"

"Eryn I mean it."

Eryn stepped out of his grasp. "Thank you for your concern, now if you excuse me I have an early flight to catch. " Eryn motioned for the door and went to get back in bed.

He stood there.

Eryn adjusted the covers a bit expecting him to go.

Yet, he just stood there.

She eyed him.

"Or stay I guess?"

Once again, he wouldn't move. He just stared at her.

Eryn sighed. "Bruce, you wanna join me?" He nodded. She patted the bed next to her. "Come on then." He moved slowly to the empty side and gently sat down. He looked like a scared child. She had never seen him so vulnerable. He laid down, eyes glued to the ceiling. Eryn frowned. "Better?"

He nodded.

His head turned to her and he spoke once again. "You can't go." "I'm not gonna stay home just because you had a nightmare." Eryn explained. "You're gonna get hurt, you've never been out there before."

"And yet another time you underestimate me Dr.Banner."

He looked a little hurt. "Eryn-"

"What am I supposed to do then? Stay home? Do nothing? Nothing is getting really old. This is my chance to finally do something."

"But you have no field experience. You could get hurt. Look, I think you should just call it off." Eryn huffed and sat up.

"You don't get to do that. You already called it off, you can't walce in here and tell me what to do. You can't flip flop on me like this. It just makes it so much harder for me to fall out of love with you." She froze. He sat up, keeping his head down. She had said it. Unintentionally. But it was true. She had fallen in love with him.

In an attempt to save the situation she tried to speak, "I mean-"

"I know what you meant....and...I love you too." Her eyes widened.

"Then...why are you doing this?"

"I...I don't know anymore. I can't just keep pretending that I don't though. But I still can't be with you." His eyes met hers.

She felt so lost.

How could they keep going like this? He loved her. She loved him, It was so simple.

She didn't feel like fighting anymore.

"Get some sleep." She mumbled. "I still have a plane to catch." She layed back down, not facing him. "Eryn.."

"I'm going Bruce. Nothing's gonna change that. Please, get some sleep."

He sighed.

Eryn felt him behind her.

She was almost happy he decided to stay there in bed with her. \

But it also tore her apart,

She wanted to roll over and be in his arms. Wanted him to stroke her hair and whisper sweet things.

She wanted him to kiss her tenderly like he had that day in the safe house.

But also

She wanted

To go to sleep.