Chapter 34: Hurt

⚜️but what the fuck is love with no pain, no suffer?⚜️

Alestia

Emptiness.

That seemed to be the only feeling alongside the slight annoyance of the beeping monitor beside the bed.

The classic stench of cleaner lingered in the air as I stared blankly at outside the window.

The sun seemed unusually happy and shone as brightly as it could.

It was awfully cheerful for my liking.

This was the moment of glory. I should've been in his arms now, a glass of wine in hand as we rejoiced in our newfound peace.

But there was no peace.

Not when I was sitting on a hospital bed for the past week.

Not when my so called lover hadn't once come to see me.

I doubted he bothered asking why I hadn't gone to see him.

The last time I had seen him was when he turned his back on me when his daddy dearest was shot by yours truly.

He didn't turn back when I had taken a different vehicle to get back to the HQ.

He didn't turn back when I fell unconscious from the blood loss the moment I stepped out of the car.

I simply watched hopelessly as darkness invaded my vision and he walked away inside the HQ without a backward glance.

How badly in that moment I wished for those arms to be his instead of Aurora's when I fell.

It was hilarious.

Painful but hilarious.

That all it took was a week with his father to change his priorities.

That all my effort, all my feelings had been pulled into a seemingly lost cause.

I let out a humorless chuckle.

What was I thinking?

That I could provide him the support he needed? That like every movie I was the only one who could fix his broken self?

Boy was I wrong.

"He's suffering you know?"

I spared a glance at Ace. He was sworn into secrecy to not let Levi know where I was, not that Levi had asked my whereabouts anyways.

It was hopeless.

I could never hurt him. Emotionally or physically. I couldn't bear to let him suffer from the guilt of hurting me.

Even if he did.

Love was pathetic.

It was blind, where every flaw could be overlooked. Where every hurt caused by the other could be overlooked from a simple "I'm sorry".

You'd want to hate them.

But this stupid emotion would render any misgivings towards them useless.

Such was the type of poison love was.

You crave it. You let it consume you.

Then it destroys you.

And worst part?

You let it.

"I'm having a lot of fun."

Came my sarcastic reply. Levi was suffering? Wasn't I too?