24

Lily turned the page eagerly, but saw it was blank.

Frantically, she turned page after page, but still couldn't find anything, and eventually she came to parts of the journal where sheets had been ripped out, leaving torn corners and edges.

What was going on?!

When she finally found a page with writing she saw, in again different handwriting that she recognised as Michael's from the entry he had put in earlier:

Look under the floorboard

Lily searched the whole room for a floorboard that had been undone or that had snapped, but she couldn't find one anywhere.

After she had spent a whole thirty minutes searching, she gave up and went back to the cupboard to replace the journal.

That was where she found the floorboard. She had leant into the wardrobe to put the diary back and her hand broke through one of the floorboards at the bottom of the wardrobe.

Wincing from the pain of the new splinters in her hand, she pulled at the broken floorboard and it came free.

That was where she found the overflowing stash of loose sheets of paper torn from the journal. Most were entries which had been crossed out, and these were all more lies Luke had decided to tell about Hannah, but Lily finally found a small bundle of papers which weren't lies.

These entries were the truth.

These entries told the rest of the story of Luke Hemmings, and his spiral into the dark hole that was his family and his fame.