Phone Call Number 8

Come on, Luke, pick up Lily thought, as the dial tones continued for what seemed like centuries.

When the ringing finally stopped, she heard Luke's beautiful voice - as a voicemail message. Sighing, Lily listened to the message just so she could hear his voice. She loved the silky tone to it, the way it soothed her when he wasn't crying.

"Hi, I'm sorry I can't come to the phone right now, I'm probably banding or arguing with the boys." She heard his soft chuckle, and a voice in the background shouting at him as if they were offended. He sounded so happy in this stupid message. This must have been from before it all went... wrong for him. "If what you have to say is too important to leave as a voicemail, then call the following number, Mikey will be able to get the message to me. xxxxx-xxxxxx."

Lily quickly jotted down the number on the skin of her arm. She heard a few more voices and then the voicemail ended, there was a beep, and Lily stood there for a minute in shock before hanging up.

She had Michael's number. 'Mikey' must have been the Mikey that hurt Luke so badly that he was crippled. Michael must have been the boy that Luke broke up with Hannah.

Lily had the number of the boy who made the biggest difference to Luke's past on her arm.

Hesitantly, Lily typed the number into her phone and waited impatiently for the boy to pick up. She heard three rings, and then there was silence. The only sound she could hear was the breathing of the person who had picked up.

"Um... is this Michael?" Lily asked quietly. For some reason, she was scared to make too much of a noise, she didn't want to be the one who broke the silence.

"Michael Clifford, yes." He replied is a low voice. His voice sounded cracked and hoarse, as if he had been crying non-stop for days, weeks, even years.

"Michael, um I'm Lily. You have no idea who I am, but-"

"No, I do know who you are. Calum said something about a Lily, a girl Luke was talking about. They were on the phone the other day. Luke got a bit emotional - Calum said - but not before the boy could say anything about you." Michael explained.

"Um..."

"I just want to say something." Michael muttered.

"Go ahead." I urged him on.

"Thank you." He said, taking a deep breath to steady himself. She could hear his voice breaking down, and it tore at her heart. The feelings she could tell he was feeling were too much for her. "Thank you for being there for Luke when I wasn't. I should never have hurt him like that. I am such..."

"Michael, it's okay. You're all going to be okay." Lily felt as if she was going to break down. She wasn't the one who deserved to be crying though. Michael was so strong, Lily was so surprised he wasn't full on sobbing right then.

"No, it's not okay, Lily. Nothing's ever going to be okay again. I should never have done such terrible things to my best friend. I am so ashamed of myself, just go back and talk to Luke." Michael muttered, and Lily heard one sob before he hung up.

// a/n sorry, it's quite short, but I wanted to update for you guys.

um... I totally wasn't close to crying while writing this.

guys what should we do to celebrate when this hits 5K???

I love you guys so much you have no idea

I also love 5sos, and Ed Sheeran

and Oreos. //