twelve.

「 𝐭𝐞𝐦𝐩𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 」

𝐭𝐞𝐦𝐩𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

there was a mix of baked goods and seasoned meat contributing to the smells in the kitchen. people rushed around to get things ready, large containers to keep the food warm and feed enough of the people coming over today. the two boys were woken up early and put to work, currently organizing the assortment of cheeses and meats on a platter.

"stop sneaking pieces." taehyung smacked his best friends hand and the cubed cheese fell back onto the dish. "there won't be any left." he said.

jimin pouted, but listened anyways. he didn't eat all day just for this. he could possibly be the biggest fan of ms. kim's weekend barbecues. "honey, bring those out please." ms. kim said, pointing to the boys and waving them out of the kitchen to head to the back.

taehyung wasn't the biggest fan of barbecues, which is why he's done his best to avoid them by making up classic excuses like scheduled headaches and purposeful procrastination of school assignments. that only lasted so long, and once he graduated there were less excuses to be made. "come on i'm starving." jimin nudged his friend and the two picked up the platters, walking towards the back yard.

people were starting to get here, mingling under the trees and string lights during the afternoon sun. the weather was perfect for a weekend get together, and it would soon get better.

taehyung looked around for a certain person. his best friend must have read his mind, "is hoseok here yet?" jimin asked, setting down the cheeses and looking around as well.

"i don't know." taehyung said, eyes scanning the crowd of pastel wearing adults with their glasses of bubbly and lipstick smiles. that familiar head of hair couldn't be seen, not amongst the couples engaging in small talk. "wait, there he is." taehyung felt his stomach flip at the sight of the guy, walking around the side of the house with his hands in his jeans.

"go jump on that." jimin said, "and i'll attack this." he had his eyes on the kebabs and pineapple salsa dip. there was no shyness to him, not when he piled whatever he wanted on a paper plate and didn't bother with the looks from others.

taehyung nodded and set down the pepperoni slices. "i got this." he was talking to himself as he walked across the grass. it was maybe a few yards but it felt like taehyung walked a lifetime to get to hoseok, standing infront of him. "hey."

he spent all last night practicing what to say and the best he came up with was hey. taehyung wished the floor would swallow him up. if only it wasn't for hoseoks sweet smile and welcoming personality, the way he reached for the younger to hug him close. "hey." he said.