thirty.

「 𝐩𝐢𝐜𝐧𝐢𝐜𝐬 」

𝐩𝐢𝐜𝐧𝐢𝐜𝐬

there were rows and rows on the shelves with titles and authors in various sections and orders. everything had its place, based on genre and writer in a way that was easy to find what one was looking for. well, it should have been easy for most. that didn't seem to be the case for all of those scanning the shelves.

"this is dumb." the blonde had said, looking at the little paper in his hand and back up at the books.

taehyung glanced at his friend and held a finger to his lips, knowing the library lady would tell them to be quiet again if he had another frustrated outburst.

"just follow the numbers." taehyung said, pointing at the slip and then back at the spine of the books. it had been taking way too long to find the specific section of murder mystery books, especially since they didn't even know which one would be a good read after years of abandoning this specific type of material. the last time taehyung had to read a book was when his mom was baking and her hands were too sticky from biscuit batter to turn the page in her cook book.

jimin shoved a book back into place when he saw it wasn't the one he was looking for. "after graduating i vowed to never look at numbers again." he said, the irritation pretty clear in his features still.

"how's that going for you?" taehyung chuckled.

a glare was sent his way, and under perfect circumstances a book may have also been headed his way thanks to the small hands of his best friend. instead jimin decided it would be better if his violent tendencies didn't appear in the middle of the library where mothers and their kids mainly made up the surrounding people.

that irritation didn't leave until they were looking at different numbers — which came in the form of monetary values placed beside greasy fast food option.

"i want the number four and six." jimin said, leaning over the front console to get a better look at the menu. the second they left the library he requested a pit stop to fill his stomach. taehyung couldn't turn down fries either, so he ordered a few larges too and pulled up to the next window.

jimin was happy again, reaching for the bag that had grease stains peeking through to decorate the restaurants logo in darker splotches on the bag. "i love you." he grinned, leaving a big kiss to his best friends cheek before falling back down to his seat. "see this is what we have to do to have fun." jimin was speaking into the bag, looking for each item and who's was who's.

it didn't take long for the smaller one to get tired of the trips to the store and the library and random walks to places to distract the brunette beside him these past two weeks. all taehyung did was chuckle again, a simple response that didn't mean anything. he didn't really have anything to say anything, nothing else on his mind.

they decided to eat when they got back to taehyung house, even though jimin still peeled open the bag to steal a few fries along the way.

his mother smelled it immediately when they walked in, her clean smelling house now turning into a mix of grease and barbecue sauce.

taehyung thought she'd still be out grocery shopping, getting things for dinner later on and he hoped to sneak in the fast food. instead she stood there with an eyebrow raised. "uh, hi." taehyung smiled at his mother and slowly set the bag on the counter. he was expecting some mini lecture, one on eating too close to dinner and ruining his appetite.

"i hope you got me something." she said instead, tossing the dish towel onto the counter beside the stove and walking over.

jimin was the one grinning now and yanking out one of the cartons of fries for her. "we got like three!" he said, one half gone from his snacking on the ride home.

"perfect i'm so hungry." mrs. kim are a fry and walked away to the fridge to get sauces. with every different preference she came back with four bottles, knowing very well what the boys liked to dip their fries in.

"thanks." the two of them said in unison, digging into the burgers and fries after sauces were poured on the back of napkins to dip.

the only sound was rustling of wrappers and muffled chewing, each too hungry to talk and break that somewhat silence. it was mrs. kim that did, wiping the corners of her mouth and pulling out one of the stools to sit. "hey honey," she said, catching her sons attention, "you never told me how the jeons liked the pound cake. i was going to bake up some more, considering the one we had left rather quickly." she glanced over at the blonde who was too busy eating well to even hear that she had been referring to his tendencies to visit and eat a lot of their things.

taehyung heard that name and felt his stomach swirl. it was a mix of butterflies and the urge to throw all the pretty insects up across the counter. there was pretty things and guilt bubbling up inside his chest, the confusion that came with wanting the ravenette but also hating him never took a break from invading his mind.

"they liked it." he said shortly.

mrs. kim smiled and helped herself to some more fries. she stepped away again though, talking about cakes and baking while she opened the pantry and looked at what she had and what she would need.

"why don't you just bake for the parks since they clearly like it." taehyung said, mouth full and not appreciated by his mother who saw his lack of manners just then. he wiped his mouth and apologized, swallowing hard before talking again, "it makes more sense, we know jimins family more." he explained.

"but i always see you talking to jungkook." mrs. kim had her head in the pantry, voice sounded far away and clearly oblivious.

her son just dropped the half eaten burger on the wrapped it came in, not that hungry anymore. "what about that other boy? the one that works at that store?" she was clearly talking about hoseok, and it had taehyung groaning internally.

jimin was hungry, completely absorbed in the food, but still paying enough attention to jump in and save the day. "actually mrs. kim, my mom is having a backyard picnic this weekend." he said, "she'd love if you brought some of those little lemon cakes you make?"

the woman lit up, standing up and closing the pantry, "really?" mrs. kim smiled, "i'll go the store right now and get what i need. i know you're mother likes those biscuits too with the tea." she kept talking as she hurried around to find her purse and keys, patting jimins cheek lightly and saying she'll give his mom a call later to help plan in case she needed to bring anything else.

the boys were left alone again, clean laundry folded on the couch and half eaten fast food on the counter. taehyung pushed a fry around in the ketchup and stared blankly at it. "i have to teach my mom to read signals and learn to stop talking." he finally said.

jimin giggled at that and stood up too, wiping his hands on the sides of his jeans. "and i have to tell my mom that apparently we're having a backyard picnic this saturday now."

the shorter one took a carton of fries and waved at his friend, "i'll talk to you later." jimin said, heading for the door and leaving the younger alone in the house.

and taehyung really was alone. he wished for too much, and in the end he got nothing. he deserves everything he had right now.

────────────────────────