xxv. dad

The sound of beeping machines had woken Bailey, her head twisted to the side in pain as she began to flutter her eyes open

          The sound of beeping machines had woken Bailey, her head twisted to the side in pain as she began to flutter her eyes open. Her fingers moved, gripping the strange material beneath her fingers that didn't represent the fluffy blanket she was once wrapped within.

Searching around more, Bailey noticed as wires were attached to her arms. What had happened? Her mind was confused as she recognised herself to be in the hospital. But, how did she end up in here? Nothing from the night flashed through her brain as she tried to think of the events leading up to her being unconscious.

"Bailey. . ." A soft, familiar voice called out to her. Bailey groaned as she tried to reply but finding her throat to be itchy and dry, not even wanting to open her mouth to reply. Figures, she turned her head to reveal the culprit that had whispered her name so softly.

Dad. Bailey felt her lips crack as she turned them into a smile, her dad was sitting besides her with his hand waiting on his knee.

After all this time, she had finally saw her dad once again. He was still the same besides a few wrinkles and grey hairs, he was still the same. Her eyes slowly shut as she took in his presence, her smile still strong on her mouth.
She was glad to see him looking healthy, clean and kinder than ever before.

"Bails," Dad said before gripping onto the girls hand that revealed from beneath the hospital blanket. Then she remembered, what was she doing here? Bailey cleared her throat as her lips soon turned into a frown, "Why am I here? What happened?"

The questions come at a fast pace, nearly too fast for her dad to understand them but he did. He always did. "You were hit — with a rock. The doctors suspect anyway from the compact of it," Dad explained as he tapped his fingers against her flesh, squeezing his eyes whilst imagining the pain she was going through.

Soon, the door opened to reveal Emily holding onto a little boys hands. The boy had the exact same eyes as his dad, and his hair colour. "Hi, Ems," Bailey said as she sat upright in the bed, trying her best not to seem weak in front of the three of them.

The little boy climbed his way onto the bed, he wasn't afraid of strangers it seemed. His legs swung carefully from the edge of the bed as he turned around to Bailey and his dad. "Hey. Effy's left, she left with Cook. Freddie is here, though. Same with Katie, no clue where Naomi is — I think she's asleep," Emily explained.

"Oh, um, I better leave you girls alone. I'll try and get a doctor, Bails. C'mon, Liam," Dad said as he watched Liam jump from the bed, gripping onto his dad's hand before they exited the room.

"I would be lying if I said your dad wasn't attractive," Katie said as she entered the room with Freddie on her side. Bailey didn't want to question why her dad was there, she was too scared to find out why. "Thank you. I think," Bailey furrowed her brows before letting out a small chuckle, Katie handing her a water bottle.

"What happened then? Because, I'm more interested than to rest if you," Asked Bailey before taking a sip of her water. Emily looked at Freddie then Emily; did they even know themselves? Surely they had to, right? Katie sighed before taking the seat her Bailey's dad once sat in.

"Don't kill me. I know you said not to go after you but Cook teased and I was getting pissed off, so I went and looked for you. That's when I found you unconscious on the floor, rock besides you," Freddie said, Bailey imagining the things Cook was saying to tease him 'What? You not going to go after Doll? Because I simply will.'

But then, the images flashed through her head of that night. Nice to know she didn't have short term memory after being hit in the head with a literal rock. "Wanker," Bailey stated as she remembered Effy straddling her on the ground.

That's what she reached for when she rustled her fingers through the twigs and leaves besides them. "I'm sorry. I would've gone after you sooner if I knew she was that upset," Freddie said as he held onto Bailey's hand, placing himself besides her.

Bailey looked up at Katie, she seemed to be fine with him doing so. Perhaps that had a talk, Bailey wasn't sure on anything anymore.