CHAPTER EIGHTY SIX

Season 4, Episode 20:  Lights Out

Ownership of Glee:  FOX, Ryan Murphy, Ian Brennan, Brad Falchuk

= = =

With McKinley experiencing a blackout, Will has made it unplugged week in Glee Club.

Violet decides to start the week off with her and Sam's acoustic version of the Rufus Wainwright cover of Jeff Buckley's 'Hallelujah.'

[Hallelujah by Violet and Sam]

When the two end, the glee club claps.

"Guys that was... amazing. Truly amazing. Where did you guys come up with the idea for that number?" Will asks.

"Well we both love the song, and thought it would be a good choice for this week's assignment." Violet answers.

Sam nods. "Yeah. Plus I knew Violet would be awesome on this song."

Will smiles. "This is something you two have aced. Guys, you better bring your A-game." He tells his other students.

"Good job guys. That was amazing." Blaine says.

Tina nods. "I loved that song."

Violet and Sam smile at each other and then hug.

= = =

The next day, Sam sings 'You've Lost That Loving Feeling.'

[You've Lost That Loving Feeling by Sam]

After the performance is over, Violet claps for him.

"Wow, you see that, guys? That's the kind of power and passion that we need for regionals. Good job, Sam. Um, next up, uh, Artie. Show us what you got." Will says.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Shue. I can't do Miguel without my synth. I needs my synth!" Artie says.

"No, you needs to man up." Violet comments.

Artie looks at her. "Excuse me?"

"You know how often the power went off at my house, how many times my dad couldn't afford to pay the stupid bill?" Sam counters.

"Relax, dude." Artie tells Sam.

"I had to entertain my brother and sister with just my guitar and my voice, and we didn't have any synth. I mean, like, I saw you texting during my song, and it's not just you; it's all of us. We're so focused on being plugged in to the Twitterverse and the Blogosphere that we don't appreciate what's actually right in front of us. And I think that that's just sad and lame." Sam rants.

Violet places a hand on Sam's shoulder. "I agree Sam."

= = =

Ryder decides to perform the next day.

"I know these songs are supposed to be unplugged, but I asked Mr. Shue permission to do a full orchestration." Ryder says.

"Which I gladly agreed to, because Ryder eloquently told me that what he wanted to unplug were his feelings." Will adds.

"I want to really reveal myself through this song. And frankly, I think I kind of need the support to get there. I'd like to dedicate this song to all of us, and for all the slushees... real and proverbial... that we've all taken to the face over the years." Ryder finishes.

Ryder sings R.E.M.'s 'Everybody Hurts.'

[Everybody Hurts by Ryder]

Violet gently claps for his performance.