12

Emma

Joshuatbassett started following you!

She drew in a deep breath before she clicked on the notification. She had no reason to be nervous; she'd seen his picture before, knew his name was Joshua, he was 18. That was more information than people find out about each other all the time. She never knew everyone she went to school with, some people in her year she never found out their name and strangers are strangers for a reason; so why was she so nervous?

She wasn't sure if she wanted Madeline and Liam to be here. On one hand, she wanted the support and knowledge that no matter what happened, she wouldn't be alone. However, she knew she would never hear the end of it and they would always try to be involved and give advice and stick their noses in. She didn't know which situation was worse.

Her phone had opened Instagram but not brought her to Joshua's page. She didn't know whether that was a blessing in disguise or not. She needed to psych herself up. She wasn't ready. She knew that.

She decided she needed her friends for this. She didn't want to do this alone. Apart from having mini conversations in the past week when they were both working, her friends had been there the whole time. Every major thing that has happened with Joshua in which she has learned something new, both Madeline and Liam has been there. In a way, they deserve to know. Also, they were in this just as much as her. Just as invested.

She got up from her bed and walked across the living room to get to Madeline's room. She wanted to go slowly to drag it out as long as she could, but she knew Joshua was waiting and the best course of action would be to get it over with as soon as possible.

"Maddie!"

Maddie opened her bedroom door with a grumpy look on her face and her hair mused. She was also rubbing her eyes. Obviously, Emma had just woke her up.

"I was sleeping you bitch."

"Josh gave me his Insta. He followed me."

All of a sudden, Maddie decided she was completely awake and had forgotten that she was asleep 10 seconds prior. She grabbed Emma's wrist and proceeded to drag her into the room. They both sat next to each other on the bed against the headboard. Maddie reached for Emma's phone and saw that she had her activity page on. The latest notification was that Joshua started following her.

"Are you ready for this?"

"Nope."

"You don't have to go through with this you know. We can just turn your phone off and watch castle."

Emma chuckled and looked towards the tv. She saw that Castle was playing on mute. How dare she.

"You watched Castle without me?"

Maddie winced.

"Well... I mean.. it was on tv what did you expect me to do?"

"Oh I don't know.. invite me to watch it with you?"

"I'm sorry I'm sorry. Look, we better hurry up or he's gonna think something is wrong."

Emma sighed. She knew she couldn't drag it out any later. That doesn't mean she wasn't going to try.

"So where's Liam?"

Maddie gave her a look that said I know what you're tryna do.

"He's at his dorm. Bitch wanted to go there to make sure everything's okay. You bet your ass I'm gonna text him about this. You know he would wanna know."