the first time

Madison smoothed down her dress as she looked in the mirror

Madison smoothed down her dress as she looked in the mirror. It was always strange to her how different she looked when Candace dressed her all up. Candace and Jess milled about behind her, chattering animatedly. It felt like a terrible deja vu moment to the turnaround dance, how ever many years ago that was now. 

"You okay Mads?" Jess inquired, coming to stand behind her in the mirror. 

"I don't know why I'm so nervous," Madison sighed. 

Maybe it was all that talk about how they were going to be the 'hottest couple'. She knew he was joking, but maybe it was the suggested pressure?

"Nervous about the after party," Candace giggled, winking at her. 

It took a minute to register what she meant, and then Jess and Madison were both making disapproving sounds. 

"What?" Candace defended, "That's what all the boys are thinking of." 

Jess and Madison scoffed, but sent each other a look. Not to out the poor girl, but Candace wasn't a virgin anymore - Jess and Madison on the other hand, were definitely. And now Madison had a whole new reason to be nauseatingly nervous. 

"Don't stress yourselves out about it, it's not that big of a deal," Candace dismissed, slipping on her sparkly heels. 

"Thanks Can, I'm no longer nervous," Jess deadpanned. 

She was starting to sound like Madison. 

The three girls were finally finished - their outfits perfectly put together. Candace wore a frilly pink tiered dress, with no straps, and sparkly silver heels that increased her height by 3 inches. Her hair had various silver butterfly clips in it to keep her braids out of her face and her lips were highlighted with a sparkly gloss. She looked ethereal. Jess wore a dark blue shift dress, with a strappy back, and black kitten heels. Her hair was down, a rarity for her, and stick straight. She looked gorgeous. 

"You know, even though you always wear black, you always kill it," Jess complimented. 

Madison smiled, proud of her choices. Her black evening dress was covered in small little stars, just sparkly enough to catch the light but not blind anyone (like Candace's shoes). Her hair was pulled back into that usual up do, and was littered with matching small stars. She was, surprisingly, wearing the same height of heels as Candace, but hers were a sparkly black. The highlight of the look, at least in her opinion, was her vintage star and moon earrings - that dropped just past her chin and had hints of purple within them. They were a present from her grandmother. 

"Our dates should be here any minute," Candace mused, gesturing to her clock.

Candace was going with Troy, Jess with a different friend from track (Caleb), and Madison, obviously, with Eric. Madison and Candace had been worried that Jess would be going alone for a bit there.