Chapter Twelve

The trip to Chicago was a peaceful silence, the howling of the wind outside the car in my ears as the faint music of the radio played.

The first thing I noticed when we hit Chicago was how many people walked, instead of used a car. I understand why, I didn't feel like staying in this crowded and busy street, but the city was just so big.

I'd have to be insane to walk daily to and from places.

I also noticed how many buildings there were packed together. This was the very first city I've ever been to, and I felt sort of claustrophobic about it for some reason.

Next, was that disastrous sewage smell when I rolled down the window. I gagged, quickly rolling it back up and looking over at Arvin, who wasn't fazed at all by the putrid stentch.

"Do you think you know a place that isn't around here that doesn't smell like a horse took a shot, ate it, threw it up only to eat it again, and then shit it out?" I asked as Arvin laughed, nodding slowly.

"Had to visit this place about a year after we met for something I don't remember." Arvin said as he rounded a corner into a large parking space, going up a few levels before parking.

"This city is so big... How do people know where they are going?" I said, feeling like an idiot after asking the question. "Don't answer that." I said as Arvin chuckled, gesturing for me to follow him out of the car.

"Now. We'll get us a nice room for a week, then it'll be off to Canada." Arvin said as I skipped for a mere moment, a smile soon on my face.

"Do you think we can go to the harbour?" I asked as Arvin smiled, shrugging.

"That depends, darling. If you want we can, then maybe after get something to eat." Arvin suggested as I smiles widely, nodding.

"I would love that." I said before turning to the receptionist behind the desk. It was a young man possibly only a few years older than Arvin and I, a forced smile on his face.

"One bed?" The receptionist asked, tilting his head very slightly to the right. Arvin smiled awkwardly before nodding.

"Alright then. That will be room 12B." He said, picking a key up and handing it to Arvin. I quickly paid for our first night before Arvin took his hand in mine, taking me to our bedroom.

The hotel room was much larger than the other ones we had. What I liked most was that it looked like an apartment. It had a mini kitchen, living room, and a small bedroom and bathroom.

"Maybe we can just stay here." I joked as Arvin laughed, setting our bags on the breakfast table before we both fell into the couch.

"I'll go anywhere in the world, as long as I'm with you, doll." Arvin said as I smiled, a rose tint across my cheeks.

"You're such a flirt, Arvin." I chuckled as he smiled, wrapping an arm around me, kissing my cheek.

"Only for you." He whispered into my ear, which in turn sent a shiver up my spine as I bit my tongue, looking up at him as I rolled my eyes.

"Let's go do something! I'm hungry." I said as Arvin dropped his head, the smile still on his face as I dragged him out of the hotel room.

We chose to walk up and down the streets of Chicago for a little bit after getting food, the sun setting as our hands interlocked one another, like they were afraid if they let go we'd be pulled away from my one another.

"Wait out here for a moment. I'm gonna go in and get us something." Arvin said as he leaned down, kissing my cheek before speed walking inside a small store.

I frowned, wondering why I couldn't go in with him, so I paced outside while he searched around the small store.

For a moment, an arm grabbed me, and I thought it was Arvin until a taller man dragged me into an alley.

"You have got to be kidding me." I mumbled under my breath  before the man pinned me to a wall, aiming a gun at me.

"Now you listen here, pretty lady. You'll remove your clothes-"

"No I ain't." I said with a frown as the man growled, cocking the gun and aiming it at my stomach. I rolled my eyes, kneeing the man in the dick before I grabbed his wrist, tisting it until he let go of the gun.

I grabbed it before it fell to the ground, aiming it on the right side head before I pulled the trigger with little hesitation. The gun was silent, so thankfully no one had seen anything.

I turned my head, seeing Arvin stand there with a proud face but a look of shock. I looked down at the man, but I realized once again I didn't feel bad.

Like the man back at the gas station, he had tried to do something to me. But this time, I was able to protect myself.

I knelt down, placing the gun in his right hand before scurrying off to Arvin, who embraced me in a hug.

"Are you alright? He didn't hurt you did he?" Arvin said as he placed me a few inches away from him, scanning me for injuries. I shook my head, smiling lightly to try and reassure him.

"No. No I'm fine, Arvin. Really. He didn't get a chance to." I said as he wrapped an arm around me.

"We need to go. Before anyone sees us." He said, looked my out of the alleyway before we walked out at a fast pace.

Three people. I had killed three people. And yet, I didn't feel bad for any of them, because they all got what was coming to them.

And yet, Arvin continued to stay by my side, despite the fact that he hadn't killed anyone, and watched as I stood by, killing and threatening people.

"Arvin." I said, stopping as he did, turning to look at me with a frown. "I need to ask you something..."

"Can it wait till we get back to the hotel? We are almost there." He said as I smiled weakly for a moment, nodding.

Once we got back, I locked the door behind me, turning to see Arvin set down the small bag he had. "So, what was it?"

"Have you... You know..." I hesitated as he crossed his arms, looking at me with his full attention.

"Have you killed anybody?"