Chapter 1: Welcome Home

Chapter 1

“Stop fussing.” My brother, Mark, told me as I looked at my reflection in the car window. 

I ignored him, smoothing down my short hair. 

“You look fine. Can we please get a move on?” Wesley said impatiently. 

My two brothers were just starting their senior year today, and Wesley was anxious to see his girlfriend of almost a year. 

Mark and I, we weren’t too keen on the whole relationship thing anymore. 

No, no each of our relationships ended quite badly when our dad suddenly decided to send us to stay with out aunt for the entire summer. 

“Should I have worn something else?” I asked nervously, smoothing down my white sundress as I followed my brothers towards the main doors of school. 

“Marley, look. I love you, okay? But I have had enough of your stressing over what to wear.” Mark groaned, giving me a look. 

“Don’t forget. We’ve got practice after school so you have to pick up Marisol from daycare.” Wesley told me, handing me the keys to our shared Jeep. 

“Got it.” I nodded, sliding the keys into the side pocket of my backpack. 

“And then you have to come back and pick us up from practice because we aren’t walking 5 miles.” Mark gave me a look. 

I rolled my eyes. “I won’t forget you.” I said, waving them off. “Now I’ll see you at lunch, I’m going to have a kick ass first day.” I added over my shoulder, excitedly pulling open the door. 

“You’re weird.” Wesley rolled his eyes. 

I stuck my tongue out over my shoulder as I walked into the school. 

Of course, with my luck, I ran right into someone. 

My heart dropped to the floor when I realized who it was. 

“H-hi.” Logan Hamilton said softly, looking at me. 

Not exactly the way I’d like to see my ex boyfriend in person after the whole summer…

I should’ve said hi, or asked how his summer was, or at least said something. 

But I just tucked my hair behind my ear and quickly walked away from him. 

I swore under my breath. 

What a treacherous first few minutes of the year…

I quickly walked down the halls to my locker. I still held my head high and proud, like I always did, but on the inside, I wanted to crawl into a locker and stay there until the halls were empty. 

I put my books away, not wanting them weighing down my backpack on the first day when I wouldn’t need anything. 

As I headed towards my first class, I pulled out my phone. It’s not like anything important would be happening, I didn’t even have anybody’s numbers from over the summer. But the phone was a good distraction and not many people would start a conversation if I was on it. 

My first class was AP Chem. It was filled with juniors and seniors. 

I sat down at one of the two person tables in the back, hoping that nobody would sit next to me. 

“Is this seat taken?” Someone asked almost instantly. 

I glanced up at the very attractive and well dressed boy. 

“No absolutely go ahead.” I grinned, crossing my legs under the desk. 

“I’m Ryan.” The attractive person introduced himself.