Chapter Twenty-Two: It's Time To Fight

Adam, Mom, Dad and I are waiting at my house for Lauren. They moved in yesterday apparently so that Lauren wouldn't have to live with the pack. I drank four blood bags before I came here, the last thing I need is to lose control.

"How do I tell her?" I ask Adam

"Be honest, she might not believe you at first so you might have to show her," He explains.

"It'll be okay if you need to you can hypnotize one of us to help her believe," Mom reassures

"How much longer?" I ask

"She called a half-hour ago, she was about 45 minutes away then so not much longer," Dad replies About 15 minutes later I start to hear the sound of a human heartbeat.

"She's here," I say with a smile

"How do you know?" Dad asks me

"I hear her heartbeat," I reply as I walk towards the door. I see the car pull up into the driveway.

"You can do this," Adam says reassuringly and that's when I notice that I'm shaking.

"What if she doesn't like me anymore?" I ask worriedly

"She's your best friend she will like you no matter what," He replies, giving my shaking hand a small squeeze. I open the door.

"Lauren!" I call as she walks up

.
"Megan," She says giving me a hug.She pulls back and I can tell by her face that she sees what's different about me."You're eyes, they're purple," She says and my undead heart starts to pound.

"There's something I need to tell you, come inside," I tell her calmly. With that, she comes into the house. We all sit down at the dining room table.

"What do you want to tell me?" She asks

"Do you remember what I told you about the town's history before I moved here?" I ask

"The town used to be home of vampires and werewolves," She replies "But it's just a myth," She adds. I take a deep breath and try to calm myself.

"It's not a myth Lauren, They're real," I say and I hear her heartbeat speed up.

"You're joking right?" She asks a small amount of fear in her voice.

"I wish I was, but I'm not" Her heart is now pounding and she looks like she's about to pass out. I know she trusts me enough that I can hypnotize her with the wave of my hand.
"Lauren," I start slowly waving my hand in front of her eye line. "It's okay no one is going to hurt you, just relax," I say smoothly. Her eyes glaze over and I hear her heartbeat slow down. "There we go," I tell her calmly

"What did you do to me?" She asks frightened.

"Lauren sweetheart," Mom interrupts "Listen to me, we've been around them for months now they don't want to hurt us," She explains

"Are you sure?" She asks

"I'm sure, what if I told you that the young man sitting in front of you was a vampire and your best friend is a vampire werewolf hybrid," She turns to me and Adam. She looks at me intently studying my features.

"That's why your eyes are purple," She says and I nod.

"Wait if you're a vampire that means that you had to die," She says sadly I nod and we start to explain everything.

~~~

"So let me get this straight, you died after an Alpha werewolf attacked you for being human because he was an Alpha and he bit you so that's how you became a werewolf but because you died with Adam's blood in your system you became a hybrid," She says and I nod "Your boyfriend is also a vampire?" She asks

"Yeah," I reply

"I don't know whether to be more surprised that you're a hybrid or that you have a boyfriend," She says and I laugh.

"Haha, Very funny, do you have any questions?" I ask

"So there's going to be a fight tomorrow where am I going?" She asks

"You're going to be with the town witch Mya and a little werewolf girl named Grace, Mya is going to do a protection spell no one will get in,"

"Okay, but why did I have to come here, not that I didn't want to it's just it doesn't make sense if you want to protect me,"

"Because the people who we are enemies with can take down a human in the blink of an eye, they could hurt you in order to hurt me so this is the best way to protect you," I explain We spend some time catching up, it's mostly Lauren wanting to know everything about my love life.

"So to be clear no one is going to eat me right?" She asks

"No one is going to eat you, if they try they'll have to go through me," I tell her, I help Lauren get set up in the guest room before I head back to Adam's house.

"I'll see you tomorrow okay, after the fight," I tell my parents and Lauren.

"Be careful Meg," Lauren tells me

"I will," I say, giving her a hug  I then walk out the door and take Adam's hand, we then start running back to the house.When we get back we realize that we're alone.

"How are you feeling?" Adam asks me as we sit on the couch.

"Considering I'm about to fight vampires tomorrow I'm okay," I reply laying my head on his shoulder. I feel him wrap an arm around my waist.

"Tomorrow when we win we'll have a bonfire,"

"Bonfire?" I ask

"The fire pit is deep in the woods and we tend to have one at least once a year but sometimes we have one for celebrations," He explains

"What if we don't win?" I ask

"We will even if we all die, you can't so we will win,"

"Please don't die, I don't want to be alone," I say and he tightens his arm around me.

"I won't leave you, none of us will leave you," He assures me. I lay my head down in his lap and he starts playing with my hair. "You don't need to sleep you know," He says and I laugh softly
"I know but that doesn't mean I don't like to lay down and do nothing," I reply and close my eyes.

"We'll win this, and tomorrow you'll be free," He whispers in my ear.

I think about it and he's right I haven't been free in a long time. Tomorrow I will be free.