Chapter 5 - Questions and Company

"You look beautiful as always." he said, his smirk making my blood boil in the best way, it's something about the way his eyes just look right through me.

"Dex . . ." I repeated, not being able to say anything else.

"I take it you're surprised."

"I . . . you . . . how?"

"It was quite a surprise for me as well. I was in town and heard of the race, I've worked with Alonso and I know very well that he's a right misogynistic idiot. I wanted to see who the driver that everyone has been talking about is. The driver that beat Alonso twice, imagine my surprise when I see you getting out of your car. I was not about to allow him to touch you."

"It's been so long." I said, still gripped by surprise.

"That it has been . . . almost two decades. You still look as amazing now as you did back then." he said, eyeing me from head to toe again.

"You look amazing yourself Mr. Courtright, sexy accent and all. What have you been up to in the past decade and a half?" I asked, finally able to muster up a smile and form a complete sentence.

"Nothing and everything." he replied, leaning against my Charger.

"I see you still like your damn riddles."

"I'm full of them, who's going to help you drive that to your place?" he asked.

"Someone from here, why? You offering? How are you going to get back to wherever you're staying?"

"I'm absolutely offering, show me the way and I'll try to keep up. I was dropped off here and I can be picked up at your place." he said with that sexy smirk that I found too attractive way back in my college days and I still do right now.

After saying bye to the few people who stood behind to congratulate me and hang, I walked back over to my car where Dex was waiting for me. He opened the door for me just like he used to do when we were in college, then went over to the Veneno.

Dex and I met my second semester of college, he was a British exchange student and we were paired together so that I could help him acclimate. I was supposed to show him what American college was like and he ended up tutoring me in a few courses over the two years that we were in school together. Three-quarters of that time we were romantically involved before he told me that he had to go back to London.

We were both invested in our relationship but at the same time, he knew that I was getting over an old relationship with a bad breakup and I was aware that he was keeping secrets. Lots of secrets, he did end up telling me that he worked for the government and that's why he couldn't tell me things.

Can't say that I believe him and he knew it so he showed me an MI5 badge . . . I felt so bad for doubting him but at the same time, I still didn't entirely believe it. Now that I think back, I've seen a lot of fake badges before so it still doesn't really convince me.

Now he just shows up in Australia of all places, at the same time that I'm here, and at the same race where I kicked misogynist ass. Coincidences in the web of life, throwing a curveball when you least expect it. He's just as good looking now as he was back then, even after a decade of distance. He was rocking a simple pair of dark wash jeans with a grey t-shirt and white jacket that showed off just enough muscle to tease the senses.

It's been a long time since I've thought about Dex Courtright but now that he's here, all I can think of are moments in our past. As I drove to my apartment I thought about the fun times that we had, of all the little things that he would do to make me smile and laugh. True to his word, he kept up with me and when I parked, I stood in front of my Charger while he parked the Veneno.