Episode 38-Law and justice

"Not everything that is faced can be changed. But nothing can be changed until it is faced."

                              James A. Baldwin
         ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Music played: change by Charlie puth feat James Taylor
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Lara resumed the office the next day after she got the call that her suspension had been lifted. Lara walked into the building of LGPD with full confidence. Some detectives greeted her as she walked by while some chose to ignore her. When Lara got to her desk, she met her gun and badge on the desk and a welcoming note.

   Welcome back to work. I hope you will work harder this time.

                             Munachi banks
                        Chief of police LGPD
Lara reread the letter a few times before tearing it apart and dumping it into the trashcan beside her.

"Hello, I'm Dora and it's nice to meet you." Lara raised her head to the white lady in front of her. The lady didn't look familiar to her and she wondered if she was a recruit. "Sorry I didn't give a proper introduction to you. I'm Dora from CAPD(carbuja police department). I was transferred down here as a new replacement for Kayla. You know her right?"

"I know who Kayla was, " Lara said in a harsh tone and looked away from the lady. "Look I'm sorry for lashing out at you but Kayla was my friend and seeing you here reminds me of her." Lara apologized.

"It's okay, " Dora smiled and offered her hand for a shake with Lara.

Lara smiled and place her hand into Dora's. "Nice to meet you, Dora, I'm Lara Johnson."

"Oh, I know you," Dora confessed and Lara raised her brows to what she just said. "I mean I know you here in the office. Most of the detectives do talk a lot about you."

"Really?" Lara sneered, "Glad to see that the police department has turned into a gossip department." She scoffed and took her seat.

"Lara Johnson, " a male detective called from the entrance of the hallways. "The chief request your presence, " the male detective informed and went away.

"That's is my cue to go. See you around Dora..." Lara said and head towards the chief's office. When she got to the entrance of the office, she knocked and entered the office. Inside the office, she met munachi and another man discussing. Lara recognized the man as the deputy chief of police and she quickly salutes them as she entered.

"Sirs," she saluted.

"At ease, " the deputy said. "I guess it's my cue to leave, " the deputy stood up and left us.

"Did you get my letter?" Munachi asked and Lara nodded. "Good. I want you to work harder and who knows what might happen before the year runs out."

"You sent Kayla after me?" Lara accused.

"Excuse me, "

"With all due respect sir, you sent Kayla to kill me after you suspended me for speaking the truth," Lara stated.

"What are you even saying? Get the hell out of my office right now!" Munachi yelled and pointed to the door.

"I was suspended indefinitely for a month and few weeks and that is because you see me as a threat, " Lara scoffed and placed a hand on her chest." I'm happy to be back and the only thing I would be working hard on is to see you go to prison for killing Kayla and for all your dirty works, " Lara saluted him and headed to the door. As she grabbed the doorknob, munachi yelled and slammed his hand on his desk.