20. Stuck

*Amy's POV*

Jess was silent the entire night and I felt horrible because I was the reason why. I couldn't help it—I had to know. And I should've known she'd ask about Van but I wasn't expecting it at all. Hence why I hesitated to answer but my hesitation gave me away.

Although she put on a smile on the outside, I knew she was still healing inside, hanging by a thread. She's got a lot going on and I think I might've broke that thread, that little piece of hope.

Her mind was elsewhere, thinking about who this girl was and she probably feels inadequate. The truth hurts but at least it's out of the way so she can move on...hopefully. They both deserve to be happy.

Thanksgiving was long over and the town was getting ready for Christmas now. Jess and Ryan both went back to school leaving me alone. Sometimes I wondered if I imagined them. I held onto Ryan's cardigan which he forgot and I've been meaning to return it but it still smelled like him so I held onto it. But I knew I had to put it back.

I grabbed his cardigan and crossed the mirror. It was quiet except for the sound of my soft footsteps against the carpet. I made my towards his room and hung his cardigan against the back of his chair. My hands lingered on the back of his chair as I looked around. His room was showing signs of life again now that he's coming home almost every weekend. The clothes and his essentials were slowly making their way back. I figured I was in his room for too long so I made my way back.

"Amy? Is that you?"

I instantly recognized the voice and my head turned sharply towards my mom who was standing at the end of the hallway in her night gown, a box of tissues in her hand, her nose red like Rudolph's. I paused, frozen in place. What is she doing here?! She's supposed to be at work! But she's sick. I stared at her, my eyes wide. I didn't know if I should bolt for the mirror or see where this was going to go.

I imagined this day would happen eventually. I've been reckless going back and forth. It was only a matter of time before this happened but never did I think it would happen so soon. After what felt like hours passed by, my mom closed her eyes and shook her head.

"This fever is making me see things," she said to herself. Her eyes remained closed and I knew this was my chance. I bolted for the mirror as quietly as I could and pulled the bedsheet back over the mirror. I held the bedsheet to keep it from swaying and once it stopped, I let go, stepping away from the mirror and I waited.

I was expecting the worst. For her to follow me through the mirror but she never did. At least I don't think so. I stayed there for an hour, sitting on the carpet, waiting, but she never crossed over and I was relieved. Once I was sure of it, I left the room and closed the door behind me. As if a closed door would stop her from opening it anyway.

My anxiety was through the roof and I put my hand over my heart to try to slow my pounding heart. I needed a plan. I had to block the door for a few days. Unfortunately there's no way to lock that door so I had to think of something else. Luckily after Adam and his crew entered our house to find the mirror, Van and I stocked up on safety measures for the house to stop them from entering again. We never put it to use so it all went in the garage.

I quickly made my way downstairs into the garage, sorting through all the boxes. I found the box labeled "locks" and quickly opened the box, finding the portable door lock. I made my way back upstairs and slid the lock in place, securing it. Luckily my mom, if she does cross over, wouldn't be adamant about getting through the door like Adam would. If a door was locked and she couldn't get through, she'd give up and go back to where she came from.

.

.

.

*Ryan's POV*