3. Edna Strickland

Running down the street, hand in hand Y/n and Marty stopped in front of an old-looking apartment building right across the street from the video store. Einstein dropped the shoe in front of the apartment and looked up at Y/n and Marty, barking.

"Einstein, what are you trying to tell us?" Y/n said. Einstein wagged his tail and jumped around, still barking.

"Hey! You hooligans better quiet down your dog!" an old lady yelled out of her window. Y/n and Marty looked at the lady. "Sorry, he led us here. We don't know why?" Y/n said, sheepishly.

"Hey! You're the kids that blast your devil music out of that obnoxious truck! Keep your dog on a leash! Hooligans!" the lady yelled, through her speakerphone.

Marty rolled his eyes, "My truck is not obnoxious," he mumbled, pouting and crossing his arms. Y/n suppressed a giggle at her boyfriend's cuteness.

Then the old lady looked at what the dog was carrying in his mouth. "My shoe! I lost the other one years ago," the old lady said.

Y/n caught on to what she said and thought of something, "We would like to return it to you, can we come up?" Y/n asked.

Marty looked Y/n his eyes wide, "Are you crazy? She's a lunatic!" Marty whispered. Y/n crossed her arms and raised her eyebrows, "I have an idea, future boy," she said. Marty nodded knowing that if Y/n had a plan they were going to find out what time Doc was in.

"I'll let you in! But that dog has to stay outside!" The lady said. Marty and Y/n looked down at Einstein, "Sorry boy," Marty said as Y/n and him walked upstairs and into the apartment. They walked into the apartment and saw how messy it was. There was a couch with a whole bunch of newspapers sitting in different boxes. The old lady walked to the two teenagers.

"Well it took you long enough," the old lady said to Y/n and Marty. Marty and Y/n looked at each other and then back at the old woman. "Well, there were a lot of stairs," Marty trailed off. Y/n suppressed a laugh. "No! I meant for you to return my shoe. Put it next to the other one," she demanded.

Y/n sat the shoe down next to the other one, the difference between them was drastic. One of them looked brand new and the other one looked warn out. "We're on the right track. I can feel it," Y/n whispered to Marty. Marry nodded and put an arm around Y/n's waste.

"I suppose you teenagers will want a reward or something?" the lady asked. Y/n shook her head, but the old woman continued to talk, "I'll I've got is tea and candy. Make your self at home. I'm sorry I called you both hooligans but 9 out of 10 people are hooligans. Look it up, its a fact," she said, walking into her kitchen to make some tea.

Marty and Y/n looked around, "Look, old photographs. This one says 'Strickland Family 1908'. Oh my god, she's a Strickland," Y/n said, realizing. Marty laughed under his breath, "Now the hooligan name-calling makes sense," he joked.

Marty turned around to get a better look at the apartment. "Maybe something in the newspaper's will tell us something," Marty said, walking towards the stack of organized newspapers.

"Marty, no-" Y/n started to say, then the old woman came out of the kitchen, "Get your dirty fingers off my newspapers! They are organized by date. I have every issue ever printed!" she yelled.

Y/n ran to Marty and stood in front of him, "Sorry about him. Miss-" she paused, not knowing her full name. "Strickland, Edna Strickland," Edna said still annoyed. She walked to the window and sat down in her chair, looking out at the town with her binoculars.

Y/n turned to Marty, "I'll ask the questions. I don't think she likes you," Y/n said, frowning. Marty kissed Y/n on the cheek, "I'll wait over here, doll," he said. Y/n blushed, walking forward towards Edna.

"Um, Miss Strickland. I was wondering why you collected all of those newspapers?" Y/n asked Edna, nervously. Edna turned to Y/n, "Well, I was a reporter back in my day. 1930's to be exact. My favorite story was when I reported that a speakeasy burned down. Right, where that video store across the street is, they put it up a year later," Edna said, rambling. Y/n nodded, "Interesting," Y/n trailed off.

Meanwhile Marty was walking around the apartment, he noticed that Edna didn't turn on the stove so the water was never going to boil. He looked over at Y/n to get her attention. "What?" she mouthed. Marty pointed to the kitchen and then to the heater. Confused as to what Marty was trying to tell her, she raised her eyebrows and widened here eyes, "What?" she mouthed again. Marty walked over to the heater and turned it on.

It made a sound and Edna perked up, "That must be the tea, I'll be right back. Don't touch anything," she said, pointing to Marty. Marty nodded, annoyed and walked over to the window near Y/n. "What did you find out?" he asked her.

"There was a speakeasy that burned down in the 1930s. The video store went up a year later. My assumption is that Uncle Doc has something to do with the speakeasy burning down. Take these binoculars and look at the year the video store was put up. I'll look through the newspapers to find the article," Y/n said. Marty nodded, "Got it, beautiful," he said, grabbing the binoculars.

"February 1932!" Marty exclaimed, looking back at Y/n. Y/n bent down to the bottom of the stack. "So that means the speakeasy must have burned down in 1931," Y/n said.

She started to look through the newspapers, "Maddog Tannen Jailed, Hill Valley Student Goes Missing, ah ha, here!" Y/n said pulling out a newspaper. Marty put down the binoclurs and walked over to Y/n.

"Legal procedure gave way to old-fashioned vengeance last night, when a mob descended on the Hill Valley Police Station. The suspect in the speakeasy arson case, a drifter know as Carl Sagan, was pulled from his...Carl Sagan?" Marty said, reading the newspaper over Y/n shoulder's.

Y/n flipped over to the next page, "Uncle Doc!" Y/n exclaimed, looking at a mug shot of her Uncle. "Killed by a mob!" both Marty and Y/n exclaimed. "What's the date?!" Y/n asked. "June 14th, 1931," Marty said. Y/n looked at him surprised. "That's exactly seven years before I was born!" Y/n said.

Before Marty could respond, Edna came out of the kitchen, "Hey! I thought I told you, hooligans, not to touch anything!" she yelled. Y/n put the newspaper in her jean jacket, next to Doc's journal. Marty grabbed her hand, "Time to go!" he said. Marty and Y/n ran out of the apartment, knocking over Edna's perfectly stacked newspapers.