8. Soup Kitchen

Marty frantically ran into the soup kitchen. Seeing nothing bad happening, he let out a breath of relief. He walked to where Y/n and Ruthie were sitting.

"Y/n-Ester, can I talk to you, near the phone?" Marty said, rubbing the back of his neck. Y/n nodded, excusing herself from the table.

"What happened? Is Uncle Doc okay?" Y/n said, noticing how worried Marty looked. She put her hand to his forehead to comfort him as she usually did.

Marty nodded, "Yeah he's fine, but he told me something about your mother," Marty said nervously.

"Yeah, that she knows my father. And that I can't interfere in their relationship, I know," she told Marty.

"Yeah, beautiful. But it's not just that, Doc told me that she gets seriously involved with the group of gangsters in Hill Valley," Marty said, looking into Y/n's eyes. Y/n sorta had a feeling when she talked about Kid Tannen, but she didn't know she was involved. 'Could this have been my father's influence,?' Y/n wondered.

Before Y/n could respond, the soup kitchen door opened, "Brown?!" a loud voice boomed.

Y/n and Ruthie both turned their heads near the door. Marty leaned back on the wall, assuming what was going to come.

"Brown, I need to talk to you!" Kid Tannen said to Ruthie. "About what?" Ruthie asked innocently.

Y/n stiffened up and clutched her fist, Marty noticing this, pulled her to his chest, holding her back, "You can't," he whispered in her ear. "Marty, let me, please," she said, struggling against him, but it was no use. Marty wouldn't let anything happen to her.

"When I ask you to be a waitress at my, place of business," Kid Tannen said casually not wanting to give anything away. "I expect you to do your job. Not hang out with one of my boys all night long," he continued.

Ruthie laughed nervously, "Sorry Kid, it kind of just happened. Harold is really sweet," she told him.

Kid rolled his eyes and got up, "Well don't make it happen again. The new speakeasy opens tonight and I expect you to be there, doing your job," Kid Tannen said.

He started to walk out and then saw Marty and Y/n. Y/n looked upset and Marty had his arms wrapped around her, protectively, so she wouldn't punch Kid Tannen's face in and change the future.

"What are you looking at, buttheads," he said walking out of the soup kitchen.

When Kid Tannen left, Marty let Y/n go. Y/n immediately ran to her mother and sat down at the table, across from her. "Are you okay?" she asked, as Marty went to go sit next to Y/n.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Ruthie replied, obviously. "Listen, if you want a barrel of alcohol for the rocket power drill, I can help you get some tonight at the speakeasy opening," Ruthie continued.

Y/n and Marty nodded, nervously. "Oh, it will be wonderful. We'll double date! Harold will be there and you can meet him.  You and Mr. Corleone can go together. I'll even give you a fancy dress," Ruthie said to Y/n.

"That sounds great, thanks Ruthie!" Y/n said, wanting to spend some time with her parents. All Marty could think was, 'And again, we'll probably run this too close,'

"Well great, we'll get the alcohol tonight and you can take the rocket power drill to the fair the following day," Ruthie said excitedly.

Y/n and Marty felt a little bad that they weren't going to be taking the rocket power drill to a fair. "Okay, sounds good. What time does the party start?" Y/n asked.

"Oh late tonight, after normal bedtime. Around 8:00pm," Ruthie said. Y/n and Marty, figured that would be late considering, it was the 1930s.

"We'll meet you back at Brown Manor to get ready. Me and Ms. Smith need to get something," Martysaid to Ruthie.

Ruthie nodded and got up, "Don't worry about it. I wanted to go somewhere anyway," she said to Y/n and Marty, before she left the soup kitchen.

"She's going to see my father," Y/n trailed off, under her breath. Marty looked at her and laughed, "How do you know?" he asked.

"Because she makes the same face I make when I talk or think about you," Y/n said, a little embarrassed.

Marty wrapped his hands around her waist and pulled her back to his chest. He quickly kissed her cheek, "Let's get out of here," he said.

"And go where, future boy?" Y/n replied. "We need to talk to Doc about the plan," Marty said, getting up.