Chapter Twenty Nine

"Is everyone buckled in and ready for take-off?" Boss asked as he sat down in the white spinning chair beside me.

I couldn't stop scrolling through Kiera's Instagram. I can't even stop looking at her long enough to answer Boss.

I can't believe I left her. Again. What kind of husband and father am I? I left her not once but twice with our daughter and now she is pregnant with our second child. I'm such a fuck up. She didn't sign up for this gig and it makes me feel like a piece of shit.

I should've said no. I should've just stuck with going back to school and becoming a lawyer. I'd still be helping people out in the line of work. But I wouldn't get to carry a gun or save people from dying.

At least I would be going home every night to my wife and kids and I would be safe. I'd be able to tuck my kids in before I go and have piping hot sex with my wife.

But, no. I always have to go above and beyond. I always have to prove my worth to my family. I want to show my kids that with any setbacks in life, you'll always make it through somehow. It's the example I'd like to set for anyone who is struggling.

The chances of them joining the army, hacking into a system accidentally, and going into hiding for years are slim to none. But with the example I'm setting, I can only imagine how great our kids are going to be out in the world.

"Are you nervous?" someone tapped me on the shoulder. I looked to my left and saw Alexandra sitting beside me with her face in mine.

"Kind of, not really." I lightly nodded trying to scoot back in my seat to create some distance. I don't like how close she is to me. I know Kiera wouldn't care, or I think she wouldn't. But I feel obligated to make sure Kiera never has to second guess her position in my life. And having a female this close to me might just do that.

"Judging by your face, I beg to differ. My first rodeo was hard, too." Alexandra smiled lightly. "I was six months pregnant when I first went into the field. I left my six-year-old behind with my husband so I know what you're feeling."

"Do you, now?" I asked politely. I don't feel like having personal conversations with these people. I want to create a distance between my work and home life. It's none of anyone's business here.

I doubt she has any idea how I'm feeling. As I said before, I've already left my girls once and they presumed me dead after years of disappearance. The only thing that's different now is that they'll know my status, either I'll come through the front door or they'll get a knock at the door from my colleagues. There is no in-between.

Alexandra has to be in her thirties. Judging by her character she's one of those females who has to make friends with the new guy. I've never seen any of these people in my life besides Boss and Delgado. I've spoken to them on the phone but I've never met them.

She wears a navy blue blouse with a pair of ash gray dress pants. Her hair was completely shaved to the scalp of her head only showing bleach blonde tiny curls gelled. Her skin was just as dark as mine which gives me the impression she's Hispanic along with the small accent I'm picking up on.

"I do. It'll get easier. The first time always blows. Just remember that the faster you catch the killer, the faster we get to get home to our significant others and children." She opened a package of Lay's original potato chips and offered me the bag.

I declined, "This isn't—"

"Alright everyone, let's debrief now that everyone has their snacks and drinks." Boss sipped on a warm cup of black coffee in a styrofoam cup.

"Our first victim is Talia Quinones. Age seventeen. She was found in a dumpster behind Sal's diner around ten-thirty." Delgado read from a manila folder.