Chapter Thirty

I woke up to my doorbell going off. I rolled over to Matty's empty side of the bed and I glanced at my phone to see who could be stopping this early in the morning. It's seven-thirty in the morning on a Saturday. Weekends are meant for sleeping in, not getting up at the crack of dawn to sit and chat. Kelia isn't even up yet.

The doorbell sounded off again.

I slid off my white satin sheets and I unlocked my phone to see Matty texted me.

Husband💍:
Good morning baby. We finished the case this morning and we are going to be flying back later tonight. I didn't want to wake you from your beauty sleep but I do want to say one thing.

Husband💍:
I love you with all my heart and you always encourage me to be better and do better. I'm so thankful for you, baby. You've given me a family. You've shown me that it'll always be you who will ride for me until the end of the time. I know I can never say how truly thankful I am for everything you've done for me and for our daughter, there just isn't enough time in the world for me to show you how thankful I am, but I plan to show you for the rest of our lives. I'm rambling now but I just wanted to let you know that I love you so so so much and I can't wait to get home to you and our daughter.

My heart fluttered the more I read the message. The strange thing is, I can hear him speaking as I read each word. His soft but masculine voice bounced off the walls of my skull causing me to miss him more than I already did.

I wish I didn't make him take this stupid job. I thought he was going to be stuck behind a desk and work a nine to five. I didn't know he'd get promoted only three months into the job and be put out in the field immediately. I wasn't even given time to process him getting offered the promotion.

I felt much safer when I knew he was going to be home every night.

I heard the doorbell ring again and it caused me to grow annoyed. "I'm coming!" I shouted tying my robe. "Jesus, can't a girl dress herself appropriately," I muttered to myself.

I opened the door to see a young man standing in front of me with a basket wrapped in clear plastic and a bouquet of roses.

"Hi," I've never seen this man in my entire life. He's probably in his mid-thirties. He wears a wedding band, so he's married. He wears a suit, I'm not sure of the brand. But it's nice. He seems like he's a businessman.

"Hello, Ms. Johnson. My name is Tyler, I'm the creator of your fan page, Matteria. I know it's weird for us—I mean me—to show up here this early. But we have a proposition for you and your manager wouldn't listen to us." Well duh, it's her job.

I tucked a lock of my hair behind my ear. My phone began ringing and it read Mom's contact name. I declined the call, "What can I do for you?"

"Right, sorry. First, we wanted to greet you with this carbs basket and roses as congratulations on completing your mission in Africa." He handed me the basket and flowers.

"Thank you, I'm sorry I'm not very talkative. I just woke up." I fake smiled at him. I'm so annoyed right now. Why the fuck is this random person at my house and my doorstep?

"I'll make this quick, then. Inside the basket is a script my team and I put together. We were hoping you'd play the lead role, Alex, a deceitful wizard who is learning one day at a time where she stands in the wizarding world and learning to take on responsibility. If you could just read it over and propose it to one of your producer friends. Or even if you just give it a good word, that'd be fine, too." He hasn't taken a single breath of air since he started speaking to me. "Sorry, I'm rambling."

"I believe I follow your fan account on Instagram, correct?" I glanced down at the basket and saw muffins.

"Correct! We are honored to be one of the few fan accounts that you follow." His teeth were showing because he was smiling so much.