Chapter Thirty One

I walked into the theatre room and I opened Hulu on my Roku remote. Hailey and Justin decided to take Kelia tonight. She never objects to going to see her cousins. Tonight I get my husband all to myself with neither of us having work interruptions.

I hope.

Both of our jobs require us to be on call mostly all the time. Even though I plan to spend a romantic lustful day with Matty, I still have to do my research after I pitch my proposal to him.

With Brenda Hampton's daughter being the showrunner, I'd like to know everything I can about her. If I get any sense that working with her will be stressful then I'm not going to do it. My pregnancy is so important to me and my happiness is so important to me that I'll drop all of this for my family in a second.

I can't just quit working because I'm feeling lazy. That would set a poor example for my daughter. Matty got right back to work as soon as he was healed from his PTSD. I couldn't be more proud of him. I might have had to give him a little push forward but he seems happy now. He seems proud of himself and how far he's come. Screaming and punching the air in his sleep. Cold sweats so harsh causing his entire body to be soaked in an entire layer of sweat. Crying out mine and Kelia's name thinking he's back in the woods.

I'm going to use the same technique that Jack used on me. I planned on sucking up to him with a nice grilled piece of chicken with a Cesar salad on the side with a glass of whiskey. He had such a hard two weeks in Arizona. It's the least I can do as his wife to cook him lunch before I ask him if I should take the job offer.

"What are we watching?" Matty walked in with two plates with sandwiches and chips.

"Well, now my plan is ruined." I stuck my bottom lip out and sat in a reclining chair dramatically.

He sat beside me handing me my plate. I clicked play on the remote. "Plan?"

"Well, I was going to suck up to you and make sure you were happy before I tell you why I was called to the office."

"Shoot." He shoved half of his sandwich in his mouth and chewed aggressively.

"They want me to audition for a new TV show they are trying to air."

"I thought you wanted to take a break from working?" he finished chewing and wrapped his arm around my shoulders.

I chomped on a sour cream and onion chip, "I was. But it seems that's just not possible in this industry when you're first starting out." Jack's words made me sick to my stomach. "It's not a bad offer."

I reached for my briefcase and took out the packet. "What's the pitch?"

"A pregnant teenager in high school has a baby." I chuckled at the irony, "You remember that show that was on and poppin', Secret Life?"

I could tell by the look on his face that he's trying to hold back his laugh. He's biting the bottom of his lip as he skims through the packet. "Are you—are you sure you want to do this trying to hide the pregnancy?"

"It's okay, you can laugh at the irony. I did, too."

"I'm not going to laugh." He turned his head away from me and started laughing. "What's the problem, why aren't you taking the offer?"

"I promised I'd take a step back for us, for our family, the wedding."

"You can't be serious, babe." He turned his head back to me after he finished silently laughing and took a bite of his sandwich. "You're the best wife and mother that anyone could ever ask for. Do you think we're going to be mad if you do your job? We knew what this line of work came with, I had no objections then and I have no objections now. If you want to take the deal, you should take it."