T W E N T Y-O N E: Kitchens

It took me a few seconds to choke a breath back into my lungs. I had always dreamed about Foxfire in my time with the Black Swan. And now that I stood there it felt too....... familiar?
The only thing that kept dragging my mind away from the odd sensation of deja vu was the ear splitting sounds of the prodigy crowds. I pressed my hands to my ears in vain and pressed on through the thick crowd. I had never been around so many people before.
I yanked open the door of the shining white tower, the last one in the main Foxfire building. It was quieter around the older kids. Boys with strict faces passed by me while girls with noses in heavy books barely glanced my way. Everyone seemed focused on their schoolwork, making it easier for my small form to slip through the hallways.
I searched the overwhelming patchwork of blue eyes before me. Dark blues of graying seas, bright ones with hints of yellow around the pupil, ones so light they almost looked blind. But none of steely pale blue.
I blinked my own teal contacts back into place and started down one of the emptier hallways. There was only one girl leaning against the locker, her navy irises tracing the words on her Imparter.
School was starting and I could feel it with every emptying hall. Soon Gisela's son would be well into his class and my chances of finding him dropped with every moment.
Gisela had said he was a rebel though.......
It was a long shot yet I had to pursue it. I stalked down the hallway housing an archway to the cafeteria. If I was skipping a class, I would definitely want to go sneak into the cafeteria, I thought quietly to myself.
And just like that my ears pricked with the sound of a low male chuckle. I ducked behind one of the booths in the front and watched as a head of thick blonde hair moved through the booths towards the kitchens.
When I peeked up I could confirm MY suspicions. "Eyes of ice." I whispered to myself.
The boy was alone, luckily, so I waited until he disappeared behind the swinging doors of the kitchen to pursue him. The cooks would have a few hours before lunch would have to be ready so of course the kitchen was empty.
The boy's boots slid across the freshly washed floors gracefully and he laughed, stopping himself before the fridge. Just as he pulled it open, I unhooked the leap crystal from underneath my cape and let my hood fall backwards.
The boy's hand hovered before the fridge and he spun around, fists balled up. I stood there for a moment and watched his mouth drop open and gulp like a fish out of water. His brows furrowed when his gaze saw my teal eyes but the features on my face were unmistakable.
"Sophie?" His words were not hushed, they were loud and surprised.
Gisela had warned me the boy believed he knew me and just looking at his puppy dog face made my lips pucker with pity. "Mr. Sencen?"
He stiffened at the last name, "You remember me?"
We both knew the answer to that one. Somewhere in the silence I remembered my hastily memorized lines. Sighing, I did my best to push the facade of damsel in distress through her my. "I need your help. Keefe." I added his name to the end and watched him melt like sugar at my voice.
His hair bounced playfully as he nodded his head. "Anything, what? How can I help you? If it the Black Swan?"
"N-No. I can't talk here, I need you to come with me."
I held up the leap crystal and let in dangle before his eyes. I could see how he hungered for my attention and approval. My fingers itched to pull out a lash but I settled for chewing my lip instead. I felt bad for the poor boy, but I needed to ensure my alliance with Gisela.
"So...." my words drawled out and Keefe blinked.
"Oh right. Yeah," he ran a hand loosely through his hair and my heart fluttered wildly. "Look I know that this is trap. I'm not an idiot Sophie-"
"I never said you were." I say flustered, trying to convince him.
He looked back at me and I could hear my heart pounding in my ears. "But I trust you. If you want me to go, I'll go."
I could have just turned away. I could have leapt back to Gisela alone and faced Fintan. But i couldn't. I was scared.
Keefe could feel it too because he stepped forward and wrapped an arm around my waist. I tried to pull away, but I didn't really try too hard.
"I trust you." Keefe repeated.
Too afraid that if I talked I would ruin it, I held the crystal up to the dim kitchen lights. Translucent light shimmered in the air like opals and a thick line of light shine out of the portal.
Keefe secured me to his waist and smiled down at me. "Let's go then."
I nodded meekly and together we pulled ourselves through the light.