Going Undercover

It's been a week since the Parker's came visiting. Tessa couldn't but get bored, still struggling to decide on what to do was another challenge. Another was the fact that Ken had started with his usual habit of beating her up again.

Reading, they say, took many to different worlds. So was Tessa's, that had become one of her favorite hobbies. From reading fairy tales to reading many story entries of different genres. It was wonderful.

Ken spent most of his days in the office. He often came home late. Never ate any of the meals she had prepared, rather he spent the night coming up with different presentations in the study room. Tessa spent most of her time in the library and didn't mind because since she had peace , what she desperately craved for.

    Gemini helped with the chores but Tessa noticed the way she looked at her with pity, as if she had something she wanted to tell but had to hold  back.

They sometimes baked cookies just for fun and spent their afternoons watching movies.

Most times, Ken was on the phone with his employees and sometimes, voices came from the living room. When it was probably quite late at night, all chattering and drinking coffee.

One of those days when Tessa woke up, one morning, she rolls out of bed with red hazy vision, and bits of crusty sleep still lingering in her eyes. She had never been a morning person, and waking up was always been difficult.

Although waking up was a tedious task, there was one thing in particular that never seemed to fail. This was the strong and distinct smell of freshly brewed coffee. Someone was making coffee.

  Her obsession with the scent and coffee itself started when she was young. Her parents were the instigators. As long as she could remember, her parents had always brewed a fresh pot of coffee in the morning. The coffee would always be in different flavors from French vanilla to strawberries. The sight of the coffee always seemed inviting but the taste was awful.

When she had first awakened, the smell was faint as it has dispersed itself throughout the house to the room. It was a wake up call, and has always managed to lure her eagerly into the kitchen.

Ken was snoring heavily and someone else was making breakfast. That was evident due to the smell of baked pastries and rich pancake syrup.

As she poured the liquid into a coffee mug, the mug instantly grow warmer and you could see the hot vapor of steam trailing out of the cup. She spiled some, and the touch was scorching hot! When this happened, Tessa definitely got a wake up call, When someone screamed.

A slender lady with jury brown hair was standing in Tessa's kitchen. She was adding cream and sweetening sugar to the cup. Just when she turned to leave, she spotted Tessa watching her kinly.

It turned out to be Ken's new assistant, Valerie. She had been appointed about two days after she came visiting the Shaw's.

"Her job description stated sorting papers, scheduling appointments and helping out at the office not  at home." Tessa thought before Valerie interrupts.

"Good morning, Ms. Shaw." She said carrying a tray holding coffee pot and two cups.

"Morning Val." Tessa replied with a fabricated smile. " Hope all's well. If I may ask what's with the early morning visit ?"

" Sorry but we stayed over night in the study room. We were working on a project." Valerie said anxiously, with left hand brushing through her scattered hair.