Prologue

EDITED

If this place was a place somewhere in some universe, Juliette didn't know. 

As if the flow of the time has stopped. The sound has gone mysteriously mute. The light fell asleep as the sun does at night. 

Juliette doesn't know where she is or how she found herself in the darkness and yet is standing here. In nothing between everything. 

She feels the tempting truth on her fingertips. Within the reach of her mind. It teases her senses. Juliette woke up on the corner of cruel reality and equally ruthless fantasy. One step and she is afraid to fall into the unforgiving oblivion.

His eyes.

They drip with darkness and frost. As the shadows intertwining with the icebergs, his eyes do not reflect anything other than chill and pain. For the fraction of a lifetime, it seems as if it was 

Juliette's horrific mistake to gaze into them. The shades that hide in those eyes summon the wildest demons with scarlet eyes and sly tails from the girl's soul.

His presence is terrifying. But his smile warm, nevertheless. Just as a cup of lemon balm tea. Brown, heavy curls fly in no wind as if they were dancing underwater. They call... no, they beg for touch. 

Only a small caress would be enough. Only that would silence the whisper of her longing heart. The sight tests Juliette's desires and challenges her fears. Perfection screams into the Nowhere and it echoes in the girl's mind.

She does not know, who this mysterious, young boy might be. But she foolishly, oh so foolishly cannot find the strength to care. Her instincts tell her that knowledge in this world is unimportant. Just as the wave of butterfly wings or a light breeze in the middle of a storm with striking flashes of lightning and stinging drops falling from the sky.

Secrets in this world are beautiful.

Juliette knows an endless number of worlds. She saw wolds with blooming palettes of colours painted on the walls of palaces. She laid her eyes on forests with untamed beasts, which can look at you with human eyes. But this world resembles none of those sights.

Shadowy eyes wander as hers do. Cautious, dark and obscure. Blinded with shock, yet infinitely curious.

This boy is a living being just as Juliette. That is the only thing, the girl is certain about. Everything other remains a mystery. And she does not know if she wishes to solve it. This boy, no matter who he is, is not an illusion and Fate, is Juliette glad that he is not.

Devil.

Demon at least.

The boy with ink eyes has her trapped in his capturing gaze, beauty, secrets and untold words. There is no doubt, that if he would touch her, she would reveal her hidden hopes and deepest desires. And at the end of it all, she would thank him. And that scares her in a way she never thought possible.

What is the most fearful thing, however, is the lost will to escape. Does 'lost' mean she ever wanted to go? It seems impossible. Foolish even. Something about the danger urged Juliette to give up. To not resist the Fate.

Her breath hitches every time she dares to gaze into his coal eyes. Flashes of curiosity and desire obvious in the darkness. They seem to be able to reflect catastrophe around, yet look into her soul without hesitation.

The boy stands tall and alert. As if even the fear cannot resist the curiosity within. Who can blame his questioning gaze, however? Our beautiful lovers have found themselves in a world, that is not a world after all.