MYSELF AND I

"Hey babe..." says Luca, who is sitting at the window spot.

"LUCA?" exclaims Daniella. He smiles and looks at her quizzically.

"It's you..." she observes.

He chuckles. "It's me. Here, let me help you with your stuff..."

He takes her purse and carry-on and places them in the overhead compartment for her. Daniella looks at his shoes: Adidas.

"You're wearing Adidas," notes Daniella.

"Of course, I am! So are you! What else would I wear? Want the window seat?"

Daniella nods and they switch spots.

"What took you so long anyway?" he continues.

"I... I was signing the... pink slip."

"Pink slip?"

"The cargo slip?"

Luca looks confused. "We didn't check-in any cargo."

"But like we did?" asks Daniella.

"But we didn't... unless you did? I don't recall that happening this morning."

"Okay... but like if that was the case, why did you let me go to the cargo counter?"

"I didn't know. You just said that you'd be right back."

A rush of adrenaline streams through Daniella's body as she hears out Luca. She understands everything he is saying and is confident that he is telling the truth as this is his reality and not necessarily hers, but his words are beginning to irritate her somewhere.

"So then you just.. boarded without waiting for me?"

"The gates were going to close."

The audacity of this man. "So you were just going to leave me at the gate and what? Hope for the best? I was knocked out, Luca!"

"You fell down again?" He asks with a particular irritation.

"I whacked my head pretty badly! I literally got up super quickly and I wasn't that far away... how did you not see that?"

Luca shrugs. Daniella is bothered by his inability to understand her position. At least the Lukes she has encountered appeared to have some sort of an understanding.

"Whatever..." concludes Daniella. She retracts her attention away from Luca and redistributes it to the window as the plane takes off.

After several hours of tense silence between the reunited couple, Luca rests his head on her shoulders. "Hey," he whispers as he nuzzles his head. She doesn't respond, so he tries again. "Hey..."

Daniella smiles as she looks down at him. "Hey."

"Whatcha looking at?"

"The sky."

"It's just clouds, isn't it?"

"Yeah, but I like watching them evolve over the course of the flight. For example, it was dark and cloudy when we left, but now it's clear."

"That's a good sign, right?"

"Yes... but-"

"-Good! Why don't you watch a movie instead?"

"You make a point..."

Daniella smells an extremely strong perfume that grows stronger and stronger. She looks through the aisle and finds The Stewardess approaching them. "Hello, hello! Would anyone like a drink?"