Chapter 5: Nightmares (5th Year)

I headed back to the common room after my detention with Malfoy, still fuming at his peculiar actions as I stormed through the entrance. 

There were only a few students in the main area, as the feast had started not long before I'd finished my detention.

However, as soon as they'd seen me, they wasted no time gathering their belongings and exiting the room to the feast, and for once, I was glad that they were scared of me. I plopped myself on the closest couch, my Russian Blue Cat, Alice, jumped up into my lap and curled into a ball, purring softly as I took a moment to pat the top of her head before returning to massaging my aching shoulder and staring off into the fire. My mind wandered to another place.

Back to last summer.

My breath quickened as I recalled the events of those few months, trapped in that house with those horrible people. I brought my knees up to my chest and hugged them. "it's all over now, Mira." I breathed out, trying to calm my mind as it recapped the unfortunate encounters with my father.

----

I sat in the corner of my dark bedroom, cradling myself as warm tears trickled down my hot face. I could hear his voice above me, but I couldn't make out what he was saying. Never, in the last few years, had I missed Long face's house more than I did now. I swallowed hard as the tears fell into a small puddle in-between my legs, trying not to make a sound. 

I leaned my head against the cold wall behind me, looking up at the dusty ceiling, decorated with spider webs. I watched as a large black spider spun its web, trying to distract myself from the ear splitting cackles my mother had let out above me.

I observed the peeling wallpaper that clung loosely to the four walls of my small bedroom. There were sheets on most of the furniture and the air smelt of rotting wood and dust. The heel of my left foot rested in a small hole in the floorboard, but I didn't bother to move it.

I listened to the scraping of tree branches that scratched the side of the old, musty house. I felt the thin white curtains brush against my back, tickling me as a chilly breeze swept through the damp room.

I wiped the tears from my face as I heard the staircase outside my room creaking under the weight of something heavy.

Someone was coming.

I dropped my knees from my chest and looked down at my fingers, playing with them, trying to hide my tear stained cheeks as a man tall man entered the room.

"He wishes to see you." The man grunted, not bothering to look at me as I sat in the corner. "Don't dawdle, he doesn't have all day." The man crossed the room, pulling me up by the forearm aggressively.

I made my way up the stairs, trying to steady my shaky breathing as we neared the top. The death eater next to me didn't seem to notice, as he guided me into a room on the second floor of the old house, my fathers voice getting louder and clearer as I approached the door.

"Ah, Mara.." A cool, raspy voice called to me from inside the room.

I looked up to meet my hideous fathers gaze, his snake like face curled into a strange, twisted smile. I winced at the name he'd called me.

"You called... My Lord." I spoke up, trying to avoid his eyes as he answered me, unbothered. "You will be going to the ministry tonight, with this man here." He gestured at the man standing beside him.

I nodded, listening to his next instructions.

"You will not speak with anyone, you will not cast any spells of any kind and you will do as you are told." He commanded softly, as I nodded once again. "We need a child to get him into the Underaged Wizardry Affairs Department, and you will be that child. It is an honour. Be on your way now." He turned back to his conversation with one of the hooded men across from him.