Chapter 51: The Chamber of Secrets (7th Year)

I laid awake in my hammock, staring up at the tall ceiling as the sound of snoring echoed through the room. I turned my head to the side, peering through the darkness at Draco, who apparently, was also awake.

I sat up, sliding out of my hammock and tip-toeing over to the other side of the room, where Neville and Draco lay in their separate hammocks. "Draco.." I whispered, not wanting to wake Neville. "You're awake." He turned to me as I began to climb into his hammock, nestling myself beside him.

"Can't sleep." I swallowed. "Neither." He wrapped an arm around my waist. "What are we doing tomorrow?" I rested my head on his chest, listening to the rapid beating of his heart. "I still do this to you?" I smiled, tracing my fingers around his heart. "Do what?"

"Nothing, your hearts just beating really fast." I laughed. "I'll do whatever everyone else is doing." He shrugged, ignoring my question. "I need to interview a few Ravenclaws."

"Why?" He adjusted his position. "Can't tell you." I groaned. "It is so difficult not being able to tell anyone." I rolled my eyes. "I won't snitch." He poked me in the rib as I let out a yelp. "Fuck off." I pushed his hand away. "Now I'm definitely not telling you."

We fell into silence, and my mind began to wander to the battle ahead. In this moment, it was as if everything was on hold. Like the universe was suspended in between time. In that moment, Voldemort didn't exist, his Horcruxes didn't exist. Sirius, Amelia and Dumbledore where all alive, and it was just another day at school.

Then my mind wandered further into the depths of my thoughts, where it eventually came across a dilemma. I felt a small hole develop in the pits of my stomach, as all my peace deflated. There was a battle ahead, one which I had no choice but to fight in.

Who knows when it'll begin, and who knows when it'll end. Who knows who'll survive, who will win, and who will lose. It felt as though everything was being left to chance, at every move we were taking was a risk, a 50/50 chance of losing it all.

"Draco.." I whispered. "I'm scared." I breathed out. He didn't respond immediately, and for a moment I wondered if he'd fallen asleep. "I'm scared too, Bella.." He admitted. "Do you think we'll win.. Do you really think we will.."

"I don't know." He sighed, wrapping his other hand around my waist and pulling me closer. "I don't know if either of us will ever see each other again after tonight." I heard him swallow. "Don't say that.."

"I wish I didn't have to, but at least now it's acknowledged. If we're caught tomorrow and separated, if I'm killed by the carrows for betraying Voldemort, or if Voldemort himself shows up and kills the both of us, at least I know that we were slightly prepared. That we knew what we were getting ourselves into." He stroked my hair.

"That's depressing.. Though I suppose you're right.. Wait, you said his name, he can track us now!" I gasped. "He doesn't know it's us, and Hogwarts is already under his control. He won't bother with people saying his name while we're in here." He assured me.

"Oh.." I suddenly felt stupid. "Draco, I don't think he's going to kill me.. I've thought about it loads, and I realised if he wanted me dead, he would've done it while I was being held captive."

"Maybe he has another plan for you. Maybe he doesn't want to kill you because you're of his blood." He suggested. "Then why would he seek me out so much? Why hold me captive for all those years."

"Perhaps he needs you for something important, like turning you into some sort of weapon, considering you possess his magical abilities." He shrugged as I pondered the thought. Something important... And then it hit me, It was as if all the walls came tumbling in on me. "It couldn't be.." I sat up.