Chapter 40: Dreams (6th Year)

I held his neck with the tips of my fingers, embracing his soft lips with my own before he pulled away from me gently. "I'm sorry.." He brushed his fingers across my cheeks, now swiping my own tears away.

"We don't work." I whispered, looking down at the ground once more. "I know.." He whispered. "But.. I'm in love with you.." He finished as I returned my gaze to him, shocked. "What..?"

"I'm in love with you..." He looked away. "Since when.." I tilted my head, trying to make him look at me. "Since.. I don't know.. I just know I recognised it as love on the day we first kissed.."

"But I thought you said-"

"I lied." He sighed. "I didn't just finish the line, I was embarrassed, so I told you that's what it was.." He waited for a moment before speaking again "Do you love me..?" He finally met my eyes. He was hopeful, though I could tell he doubted. My heart thumped in my chest, threatening to burst through my skin.

Do I love him? I asked myself.

"I don't know." I swallowed hard. "What do you mean?" He asked, obviously disappointed by my answer.

"I can't decide.." I looked away. "It's not a decision..." He took my hands in his. "S'il te plait dis moi que tu m'aimes aussi..." (Translation: Please tell me you love me too.) He spoke in French.

"Quand je saurai, je vous le dirai." (Translation: When I know, I will tell you.) I answered, hating how evident the dismay upon his pale face was.

"I have to go back." He stared after the window, which I assumed he'd entered through. "Please don't.." I sighed. "I don't have a choice." He shrugged. "Stop saying that." I shook my head in frustration. "Stay, please. You don't have to go back." I begged.

"I have to." He didn't look at me. "If I told you I loved you, would you stay?" I asked as he finally turned his back attention towards me. "Then you'd only hurt me more by lying." He smiled weakly before slinking over to the window, pushing it open.

He grabbed a black polished broom from behind a nearby cabinet, apparently hidden from earlier. "Draco." I pleaded. "Can't you just say? I know we're pretty fucked up right now but we can try to resolve this.."

"I'm sorry." He shook his head, hopping on his broom and preparing to depart from the common room. "Look I'm trying." I sighed. "This is hard, okay? You just assisted in the murder of our Headmaster." I tossed my hands in the air, clearly frustrated and embarrassed.

"The only one who was stopping you from being kidnapped? Yeah I've heard." He hopped off his broom. "It's not a joke Draco. You've seriously endangered me, no matter how funny it is to you." I rolled my eyes.

"I didn't mean it like that." He retorted. "I'm choosing to try to understand you, Draco." I pleaded. "You said that too."

"I know." I snapped, fed up with his sarcasm. "I mean, think about, really think about it. I'm the idiot here for asking you to say, you're the psychotic murderer who works for my father, who happens to be the darkest wizard of the century and yet you're the one who wants to leave? Again?" I scoffed.

"You're simplifying it too much." He groaned, combing his fingers through his hair. "I just.." He looked away. "Embarrassed because you expected a better result when you told me you loved me? I know.." My voice softened. "But up and leaving me again isn't going to persuade me to reflect your feelings."

"If I'm caught here... Where will I stay, you have roommates?" He shook his head, though I could tell I was convincing him. "We can stay down here.. and talk.. On the couch." I took a step back, praying he'd follow, which he reluctantly did.