five - riley, worms, & weed

Song of the Chapter: Hot N Cold - Katy Perry

***

CAMRYN's POV

Friday at school, I still felt really sick from Wednesday night.

When I came home from JC's house on Wednesday, my mom was surprised I came home so early. She knew I'd be hanging out with JC, but I didn't usually leave his house at three thirty in the afternoon, even on a school day. She asked me why I showed up three hours before dinner and I gave her my usual excuse for everything from visiting my grandparents (I love them, but sometimes they really enjoyed cooking too much food), hanging out with my girlfriends, and now, getting into fights with JC. I told her I felt sick.

Like always, she told me to get some rest and I followed those orders, not forgetting to do my homework in the middle of the night of course.

The hallways were crowded when I arrived at school. I wasn't used to coming in when everyone else did. I usually came in a little bit early to avoid people whom I found annoying.

Like Curtis Guyton. Curtis Guyton was the most self-absorbed, rude, annoying eleventh grader I've ever met. He flirts with every girl, picks on every freshman-- although I'd expect that from an upperclassmen, and he never seems to understand the word stop.

Especially from me. One day he's flirting with me, telling me how sexy I am and even grabbing my ass, and the next, he's throwing rude remarks at me for being a sophomore. Stupid, right? He was a sophomore four months ago. He shouldn't be teasing freshman either, anyway. He was once a freshman too.

So I wasn't surprised when I walked past Curtis in the hallway and he called out my name. I just ignored him. I didn't want to be humiliated in front of his friends.

Once I got to my locker-- which was pretty far away from Curtis's, thank God-- I glanced to my left and a few lockers down was JC. No one was in between us so when I looked at him, he looked right back at me. I pretended to look at some strangers behind him so he wouldn't think I was staring at him. From the corner of my eye, I saw his head turn back to his locker. He stuffed his jacket in there then shut it. A couple of his friends from the varsity football team-- yes, he is a member of the varsity football team and he is in fact only a sophomore-- came up to him and began talking to him.

I looked away. I didn't want him to meet my eyes again. He would've thought I looked like all the other girls; thirsty. I didn't want to be needy either.

But I was needy. I needed him to stop being mad at me. I needed him to come up to me and say, "Okay, times up, I'm not mad at you anymore." But I knew that wouldn't happen.

It felt like I haven't talked to Sam, Caroline, Julia, and Jackie in forever. I usually would carpool with them in the morning because Caroline's driver would take us to school in a luxurious black Escalade van, but I told them I'd walk to school today. Today I felt like being alone.

There was absolutely nothing to look forward to.

"What happened to you at JC's house?" I heard a slightly familiar high pitched voice ask me from behind.

I shut my locker and quickly turned around, a little bit startled and surprised that Swathi would come up and talk to me after what happened two nights ago. I was sure JC and his friends hated me now. Swathi didn't say anything to me at all yesterday. That's why I knew she probably had an issue with me.

I opened my mouth to speak, but I didn't know what to say. I've only known her for four days. Do I trust her? I looked over at JC again. He looked tired. He rubbed his eyes and I could hear his tired laugh from all the way over here.