Chapter 2 - The dress

For once in my life I have a friend who actually want to celebrate my birthday with me. And most importantly I have a date to go to Prom. There is no way in hell that I am going to let Lori mess with that. My mind is set, I need to find the perfect dress.

As I walk home the events of the day play over in my head. Maybe I can take my mom shopping for a dress. I know she would love that. She always complains about us not having little shopping trips. So if I ask her help she would sure as hell be surprised. I am adopted, my parents told me as soon as I was old enough to understand. My biological mother wasn't capable of taking care of me. So, she made the toughest call ad gave me to my parents. They weren't able to get children, but by adopting me their dream came true. Ever since I have known I have only worked harder for everything in my life. To let them know I am grateful for what they did. I open the front door and I hear mom humming in the kitchen. "Hi honey how was your day?" she calls. "Hi mom, it was good. Is dad home already?" I ask. "No, he has to work late, so dinner will be a bit later." I walk inside the kitchen and give my mother a kiss on the cheek. "Okay, can I help?" "Sure honey, you can chop the lettuce." And so, we cook together. I have always loved cooking; my mom is a great cook and she taught me everything. She claims that the love of a man goes through his stomach. That's certainly true for my dad.

Dad walks in as I am setting the table. He greets me and asks me about my day. He kisses mom and we take a seat around the table. As we start to eat, I decide to go for it. "Mom I have to ask something." She nods at me and smiles. "Have you got plans for tomorrow? If not, I want to ask if you want to go dress shopping with me?" Her eyes go wide. "Alex are you going to prom?" she asks surprised. "Yes mom, if that's okay with you guys." I answer. She squalls and jumps around the table to hug me. "Who's taking you pumpkin?" I look at my plate, I push my food around and avoid their eyes. They are not going to like this. "Felix asked me." I finally answer. "And do you like to go with him?" Dad asks me. "He is my best friend." Is all I can come up with. But luckily mom is there to save me and move on with the topic. "Then we are so happy for you. But we do have to hurry prom is already Saturday. I will clear my schedule." She says. "Thank you, your support means the world to me." I answer. They both smile at me. "We are so proud of you." Mom sighs.

The next day I sit outside school on the curb with Felix waiting for my mom to arrive. We go dress shopping today and I even feel a little excited. "So, you parents were alright with me taking you?" Felix asks. "To my surprise they were." I answer. Felix has a smirk on his face. "I didn't expect that." "There will be however a huge lecture when you pick me up." I say knowing my dad. "If that's the cost I am happy to listen to it" he winks at me. "And besides, if he doesn't where is the fun in that?" I laugh and roll my eyes. "Lori, however is not pleased at all. She even threatened me." Felix chuckles. "What will she do? Crawl your eyes out with her fake nails?" he asks and we both laugh. "Let me tell you this, she won't cause then her perfect manicure will be ruined" He smiles genuine at me and I feel something stir in my stomach. I smile back at him searching for his true motive. My mom pulls up in her car and waves at us. I wave back. "If by any chance, there's still some money left buy underwear. Black lace is my favorite." Felix whispers in my ear. He has a huge grin on his face. "Seriously? Bye Casanova." "Bye Alex."

I walk over to the car and place my backpack in the trunk. As I walk over towards the front, I notice that Felix is still studying me. I blush and wave at him. He has a huge grin on his face but doesn't wave back. "Hi Mom" I greet my mother. "Hi Honey, I am so excited." She says way to enthusiastic. I smile at her. I notice people discussing us from the side. This town's standard is filthy rich and we live below its standard. We don't drive the latest type of car and our clothes are not worth a monthly salary. But we are happy. "I gave up all hope on ever going shopping for a prom dress with you. You always seemed more interested in your computer, mathematics and stuff." She says with a sigh. I laugh at her. "Mom, I am excited to."

A short drive later we pull up at the mall and I can see she is nervous. "I talked with your father about the dress budget." "Mom it's okay. Felix is paying, it's his birthday gift." I can see the relieve on her face. "So, he is a gentleman deep down?" she asks as she studies my face. "Yeah he is." I answer. We walk in the mall and I look over at the shopping windows. I really want to find the perfect dress, classy but not to classy, girly but not to girly, just the perfect dress. I want everybody to notice me, especially Jake and maybe even Felix. My mom drags me into different stores but I can't seem to find the one. She however finds each dress beautiful. I walk out of the fitting stall for the millionth time. I take a glance in the mirror.

"Too pink."

I say before my mom can even say something. I try on the next one.

"Too girly."

Mom quickly closes her mouth again. The next one.

"Too extravagant"

I never will find the right dress.

"Too much cleavage."

Until finally I spot the dress. When I walk out of the fitting room, my mom is lost for words. She has tears in her eyes and I smile at her. I am wearing a long dark blue dress, with a dark blue lace body, sleeves decorated with flower patterns and just the right amount of cleavage. The long chiffon A-line skirt makes me look even taller. It has a high split on the left, exposing almost my whole leg as I walk. And jet it's classy and beautiful, but most important I feel beautiful in it.

"Honey, I think this is the one." My mom finally whispers. "I think so too." I answer.