Chapter 10 - A game of pool

I turn around and look up. Shit the guy from yesterday, how long has he been standing there? He is standing right behind me and has a huge grin on his face. "I am glad you came back for that drink." He says as he takes a seat next to me. 

"Actually I didn't" I answer honest. Boulder laughs loudly. "Oww doll, careful you may hurt his feelings." I look over at the guy and feel sincerely sorry. "Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude." I say. "You can make it up to me." He says and again a saucy wink, it's like that's the currency in this place. "Sorry, I am not that type of girl." I know what he is thinking right now. He laughs, it's a warm laugh and I can feel the heath back in my belly. 

"How about a game of pool. If you win, I'll leave you be. But if I win you have a date with me." He says confident. I smile, this boy will not know what hit him. Felix taught me how to play pool and I am pretty good at it. Maybe I'll use that as an advantage. "I don't know, It's been a long time since I played. And I am not so good at it." I say as if I am doubting whether or not to accept. "I'll go easy on you promise." He says. I smile at him and we shake hands. "Rover, so at least you know the name of the guy you will be going out with."

I smile at Rover and walk over to the pool tables. I take a pool cue from the wall and play the game open, as Rover is watching I easily pot 3 balls. He looks a bit horrified. He is not so bad himself, but he is nowhere near a match for me. 

Every time I bend down I feel his eyes roam over my body. Most of the times he stands awfully close to it. I can feel how my cheeks are burning from blushing all the time. And each time he holds his cue on the table, I look at those muscled arms and imagine myself in them. As he looks up, he stares in my eyes and winks. What's happening to me? Focus Alex, you are here for your father. Guys only hurt your feelings. 

I focus on the game and no surprises here, but I win. I hold out my hand. "Alex, so at least you know the name of the girl that beat you." I say confident. I throw in my million dollar smile and got him startled. 

Before he can answer me anything Boulder whistles and points at a door in the back. I straighten my shirt and take my back pack. Hoping I show a bit of confidence I walk towards the door. But deep down I am dying. 

I knock at the door and wait for a call. "Come in." a loud voice says. I slowly open the door and walk in. Behind a majestic desk is sitting a man around the same age as boulder. He has a large beard and is covered with tattoo's. His eyes are the same emerald green as mine, I walk towards his desk and take a seat across from him. 

His face is hardened with worries, but what strikes me the most is that he stares in utter shock at me. "I am sorry love, but I think you are in the wrong place." Ranger says with a husky voice. I can see that seeing me throws him off balance. I have been thinking all week over this encounter, I imagined how it would go over and over again. But nothing would prepare me for his reaction. "I am exactly where I need to be." 

I grab my backpack and the jacket from it. I slide it over the desk towards him. He takes one look at the jacket and turns angry. "WHO ARE YOU?" He jells. Before I can answer him, he slams on his desk. "WHERE DID YOU GET THIS? DO YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE MESSING WITH?" he doesn't stop. I am terrified. "GET OUT BEFORE I KILL YOU." He yells. My emotions take over, tears stream down my face. 

Before I can say anything else I run out the door, I run and run. Hoping nobody can stop me. My mother was so right, this will only hurt. I run all the way back to the motel. That man was so scary. I don't know what to do. I lock my room and slide down against the door.

I sit there crying for what feels like forever until there is a soft knock at the door. "Alex, It's me Rover can we talk?" I hear Rover's voice say. What is he doing here, how did he find out where I am staying. Did he follow me? What should I do, I am in no state to face him. I wait and hope that he just leaves, but then something unexpected happens. I hear him sliding down against my door. 

"Alex, you don't have to open the door, just let me know if you're still alive. I am worried. " I decide to answer, cause I have a feeling he won't leave until he knows I am okay. "Yeah I am." I answer, even though that's a total lie. My heart shattered the moment Ranger started to yell at me. What else was I expecting, he is the president of a biker gang. Rover sighs, why didn't he leave? "You can go now." I respond finally as I am able to hide the sobs in my voice. 

"Alex, I don't know what to say." He says with a soft voice. "You don't have to say anything Rover. Ranger made it perfectly clear that he doesn't want to listen to what I have to say." I say. "I know, we all heard him yell all the way back in the pub. It has been a long time since I have seen him this upset. It isn't my place to tell you his story." "Then why are you here?" I answer angry. 

"I know you are hurt by Ranger's reaction. But you can't imagine the grieve the man has gone through." Rover says. Tears stream down my face, I am so lucky that Ranger didn't raise me. "That's no excuse for yelling at me the way he did." I answer. "No it's not." Rover answers. "Is there anything I can do to help?" he asks. "Maybe take you out to take your mind off things?" "No thanks." I answer dry. "You have checked in on me, you can leave now."