Chapter Six- A Simple Task

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK
•••

"George answer the freaking door!"

Olivia yells from upstairs. George drops his fork on his plate of pancakes and looks at his foster mom, who clears her throat and takes a small sip of her orange juice.

"Alright alright"

He scoots his chair back and stands up, taking one more last bite of his delicious Sunday breakfast. He opens the front door, revealing Nick wearing a normal maroon colored t-shirt, blue jeans, and black sneakers. To top it off he even has on his "snazzy" Texas cowboy hat on.

"Hey Nick- I didn't know you were coming this early?"

He steps aside and lets Nick inside, closing the door softly behind him. Nick nods at George's foster mom with a hand on the tip of his hat and says,

"Liv told me to come over a little earlier because she needs to talk to us about something"

George plops back down at the table and finishes his pancakes, sighing contently and pointing at his foster mom.

"You should make these more often!"

He giggles and his foster mom laughs,

"I'll make them every single morning especially for you!"

Olivia races down the stairs and comes to a halt next to the plate of pancakes on the kitchen counter, taking a couple in her hands. She takes a bite, not even bothering to use a plate or fork.

"Hey Nick-"

She says between bites of pancake. Her blond hair is pulled back into two tight French braids on either side of her head, and she's wearing an oversized purple hoodie along with dark grey sweatpants, a pretty basic Sunday morning look.

"You're disgusting Liv- use a fork!"

Olivia makes a "mock face" at George and says with a snotty tone,

"I washed my hands before I came down here!"

George rolls his eyes and takes his plate and silverware to the sink, rinsing them off.

"Olivia what did you want to talk to us about?"

You could tell just by how Olivias face slowly turned into a small smirk that she had something interesting planned.

"Well, I have a special task for George. Today, me and Nick need to get into Clays house earlier than the original planned time, soooo.."

She pauses and smirks at the small British boy,

"I need you to get Clay out of his house all day today until it's time for his football practice."

George stares at Olivia, nearly dropping his jaw. He remembers their conversation from yesterday and what he told her, and narrows his eyes at her.

"You're a jerk-"

Olivia dramatically scoffs at George and looks at Nick,

"I'm not a jerk! It's a simple task! Keep him out of his house today!"

George rolls his eyes and says,

"Yeah yeah whatever. I'm getting dressed."

(-.-) basically how George looks right now lmao
•••

George pulls his bright yellow hoodie out of his closet and slips it on, relishing in the sudden warmth. As he pulls on his jeans and black tennis shoes, he looks in his bedroom mirror and takes a deep breath.

Olivias a jerk for making me do this. What do I even take him to do? Shop? He's an 18 year old guy! Maybe I'll just let him decide..

He hears a knock at his door and Olivia walks in, a smirk on her soft lips.

"Jerk"

He says, grabbing his phone off the charger and stuffing it in his pocket.

"Look, there's only one way to get Clay to like you back-"

Before she could finish her sentence George cuts her off,

"I appreciate that you're trying to help, but I'm not even sure about my own feelings for him. Maybe it's just one of those "really love your friends" kinda things ya know?"

Olivia raises her eye brows and rolls her eyes.

"Just get your British butt down the stairs and out the door to Clays house. Nick said he'll take you"

He sighs loudly and pushes past her, stomping down the stairs and pulling Nick outside with him.

"Today's going to be fuuuun I promise. Clays a fun guy to hang out with."

George sinks into the cars seat and snuggles his head into his hoodie.

"I know.."

Nick glances at George and says reassuringly,

"You don't have to be awkward around Clay. He hates it when people are weird around him. He prefers when people are themselves, even if they're the weirdest person in the world, he still thinks it's better than not being who you really are. That's what I love about being his friend. I can be as weird as I want and he won't care. He'll laugh along and joke with me until our throats are sore."

George smiles and chuckles,

"He seems like a great guy. I've only known him for a week and already I'm-"

He pauses for a moment before rearranging his sentence,

"And already I'm beginning to grow on the idea of our friendship."

The car grows quiet for a moment before Nick pulls into Clays driveway. George leans up and gapes at the house in front of him.

"Wow.."

Clays house is three stories tall, with tall white pillars attached to the second story and holding up a balcony on the third story. The front doors are thick and pure white, with windows that arched over them. The front yard is cleanly cut, with various flowers planted neatly in the garden near the mailbox.

Nick smiles at George's face and says,

"Yeah, you wouldn't really think Clay lives in a place like this just by looking at him, but he does. His parents are lawyers and they're nearly always out of town."

George's smile fades and he turns to Nick.

"So he's alone? Like all the time? That's gotta suck.."

Nick nods and moves his bangs out of his face and tucks them into his hat.

"Yeah.. he's used to it. Don't worry about that though, just make sure today's fun for him."

George nods, takes off his seatbelt, and heads up to Clays front door. Nick waves and pulls out of the driveway and heads back to George house, leaving him all alone on the front porch.

He stands there for a moment, thinking about what he's going to say when Clay opens the front door, and sighs.

"Just be yourself, like Nick said."

He gathers up all the courage he has left and knocks on the door loudly. Within seconds, the door swings open to reveal a disheveled looking Clay.

Have you guys seen "Unsolved Mysteries" on Netflix? They just added new episode and I'm trying to write cute fanfic and watch a show about murders at the same time 😂
Word count-1113